The Past Never Goes Away

"Look, we haven't spoken for years. I didn't think you'd be coming this week, that's the only reason I came. You never replied to my last e-mail that I sent years ago and you never took my phone calls. I was hurt and angry. After all we went through; I never thought you'd just stop talking to me." Lori said with tears starting to fall.

Lennox took a tissue out of his pocket and gave it to Lori.

"I never received an e-mail. And about the calls, I'm not sure what happened there. I  thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore, so I left you alone. I heard a few months later you were  with someone and thought that's why we weren't talking anymore." Lennox said, trying to hide that  he was upset ass well.

Both of them sat in silence, trying to work out what to say next.

"I only came this week because I knew you'd be here. I needed to talk to you. We never had a  chance to say goodbye, dad made sure of that. Lori, I still love you. I haven't been able to get close to anyone else because they're not you. You were the person who showed me how to love, and what it was like to be loved in return. You loved me for me, not because of my last name. I still think about you all the time, you're never far from my thoughts. I buy the New York Times just to read what you write; it makes me still feel connected to you in a way. The reason I wanted to have coffee with you, was to tell you that I'm still hopelessly in love with you. You're the only person I want to spend my life with, you always have been. I'm so sorry that I didn't stick up to my dad. I had no other choice, nothing. I was doing was working and I needed to go to LA to make something of myself. I knew you couldn't come and that's why I never asked. I thought at the time it'd be easier just for us to break up. I soon realized that it wasn't." Lennox said, teas starting to flow.

Lori sat there, shocked and dumbfounded; she honest thought he'd forgotten about her. She didn't know what to say. She stood up and just left. Lennox sat there and watched her leave. He knew she was upset and that he should have gone after her. He couldn't, he didn't want to make her more upset than  she already was.

On the train to her mom's, Lori replayed the conversation between her and Lennox through her head, over and over. She never realized he still felt the same. While she wanted to stay and walk, she just couldn't. This was nothing like what she expected him to say.

As Lori walked through  her mother's front door, Lorraine came out of nowhere and knocked Lori to the ground.

"Mom, I'm happy to be here! Wallowing time is needed." Lori said while picking herself up and hugging her mom.

"Hon, what's wrong? You look like you've been crying." Lorraine said concerned.

"Yeah, you could say that." Lori said while walking to  the lounge.

For the next hour, Lori told her mom everything that happened earlier with Lennox.

"After he said that, I just got up and left." Lori said as more tears flowed

"Do you think he meant what he said, that he still loved you?" Lorraine asked, wondering what to make of it all.

Lorraine knew she was upset  by Lennox not talking, but never imagined he'd come back and drop a bombshell like this.

"I honestly don't know, he seemed genuine though. It was just a really big shock; I didn't know what to say back. That's why I just got up and left the way I did." Lori said  while wiping some tears away.

Lori's phone started ringing, her called ID showed a number she hadn't seen before. She answered the phone and made her way to her bedroom.

"Hello?" Lori said softly.

"Hey Ace, I'm really sorry about before. I kind of laid that all on you really quickly. I honestly never meant to hurt you in any way."

Lori remained silent, not sure what to say.