𝘦𝘹𝘵𝘳𝘢 - 𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘵 #1

well, hello everyone! it's me again — it's been quite a bit since i've updated this book, hasn't it? well, guess what!? we've reached 5k views! thank you all so very much 🫶

as a display of my immense appreciation for reaching such an accomplishment, i came up with... well, this! a modern au oneshot featuring the cast of E.L.! i haven't written with these ocs in a long while, so this brings a lot of nostalgia for me🥺🥺

without further ado, enjoy!

<><><>

"You signed up for a what?"

Reina stared down at her sister with nothing short of utter surprise, brows furrowed with sudden confusion. 

"A dating site...!" Maeve replied, lips twitching up into a smile that faltered at her twin's blatant disapproval. "Aw, c'mon, Rei, we're 27! And I know that you don't do any of that stuff, but seriously! Life's getting boring!"

"You're far too heavily influenced by social media, y'know," Reina grumbled, rolling her eyes as she stood up off the couch. "Just because everyone wishes to pursue such sentimental relations doesn't mean you have to."

"Gosh, you always sound so old," Maeve teased, kicking her feet up on the cushions where Reina previously sat. "Besides, I've already got a match! I'm going on a date tomorrow, isn't that exciting?"

"Wear something cute, then," Rein deadpanned, the sarcasm heavy in her voice as entered the kitchen and went towards the fridge. "And try not to get murdered."

"Oh, please," Maeve scoffed, focus directed towards the phone in her hand. "If anyone was gonna murder anyone, it'd probably be you."

Reina offered no verbal response; facing away from her twin, she allowed a dark grin to split her features. Oh, Maeve, you have no idea.

***

For a reason Reina couldn't entirely discern, she couldn't sleep that night — perhaps it was the consternation stirring in her chest at the thought of the events bound to occur come the morning, or maybe the mental image of her sister enjoying the company of an individual who wasn't her.

One could call it jealousy, but such an accusation was far from true — jealousy implied insecurity, implied wanting to take the place of the person in question. Reina didn't want to take Maeve's place; the concept of romance was one that she heavily disliked, and she felt as if she would never willingly participate in such a notion. No, she just didn't want to be forgotten.

Maeve was all she had; if her twin were to leave her behind for some random man — or woman, she didn't really know her sister's specific preferences — Reina didn't know where that would leave her. She could not imagine being forgotten; she would not allow it.

The thoughts and doubts swirling throughout her mind kept her awake until the daylight hours, when the sun began to shine through the cracks in her curtains. Forcing herself out of bed with a heavy exhale, she stepped out of her room and prepared to make the journey downstairs.

Violent coughing from the next room over made Reina freeze in place, primal panic stiffening her limbs. The terror only seized her for a moment before she was quick to act, hand clasping the doorknob and opening it. "Maeve?"