Chapter Twenty-Nine

Several hours later I stood in the entryway of my apartment while Kiera stepped into the elevator.

"Be safe please, its pouring rain out there," I say resting my foot near the sensor so the door wouldn't close.

"I will be," she says giving me one of those smiles that was starting to be more common. I then stepped back and watched the doors close before I turned and walked off back to the kitchen where me making us dinner had taken place, though in my mind I'd been brave enough to flick flour at her rather then just stand across from her at the island like I had.

Probably would have gone as well as I imagined it.

She was still an enigma to me, even if I was starting to understand her. I just didn't know how I'd gotten to the point where I was mostly surprised by her. She acted so tough all the time and seemingly was willing to 'punt a bitch' as she'd jokingly said one day during our study sessions. But was simultaneously the girl that blushed at the fainted hint of a compliment and curled up on my sofa in a blanket because she got cold easily, or would dance to a song if she thought I wasn't paying attention.

I do still believe she will always kick me in the shins if I make her 'feel' anything too strongly.

Running a hand through my hair I began to clean up the kitchen and glanced down at Rhea who was staring at the spot where I'd cut up cheese and forgotten about the two slices there.

"Here you go girl," I say handing my dog the two slices before moving all the dishes into the dishwasher after they'd been given a quick rinse. I then refolded the blanket on the couch and made my way through my apartment to the library which wasn't terribly large but contained a large quantity of the books I read for work, along with many others in genres I loved mostly mystery, thriller, fantasy, and a small amount of romance, since I didn't often pick a book if it was solely a romance.

Selecting one I walked to the opposing balcony and pushed the doors open while the rain began to fall over Seattle in sheets thick enough that it blurred much of the buildings a few hundred yards away.

Sitting in one of the deck chairs I leaned back and began reading slowly while the rain assailed the side of the glass apartments beneath me. Getting through several chapters I suddenly heard my phone vibrate against the glass table nearby. Shutting my book I reached for my phone and saw Kiera's name flash on my screen before I answered it, hearing only ragged breathing on the other end.

"Hello?" I say slowly, only to be met by more breathing, and the sound of rain on concrete.

"Leon," the groaning sound of Kiera's voice echoes on the other end, or maybe it was my mind reaching fever pitch of worry.

"Kiera, what's wrong?" I ask instinct guiding me to the front door and impulse brings me to grab the fob for my Porsche.

Coughing sounded from the other end and the groaning continued.

"My bike slid," more coughing, "it's wrecked, made impact with a meridian," she gasps out and I angrily kept pushing the button for the elevator with my free hand.

"Are you hurt, and is an ambulance on their way?" I ask and I could picture her face racked by fear and pain, the worst combination in any scenario.

"No, no, I'm fine, I'm just bruised, and I hurt. But please don't call an ambulance, my mom and I don't have that kind of money," she gasps before sucking in a breath. She was crying.

"Okay. I'll call a flatbed and get your bike off the road, I'll pay for it. Where are you roughly," I say as the elevator doors shut and began to travel down to the garage level.