Prologue

"Ma! I don't want to go!" Lilith yells as she runs back to her mom. Her father was trying to take her away from the little farm that her mom owned and to New York city. Lilith didn't want to go. She liked her little life here. She had friends, lots of space, and most of all she had her collie named Bella. Bella was an old dog who was born on the exact same day, month, and year as Lilith. They were both thirteen and turning fourteen in a month. Lilith and Bella were raised together and have never left each other's side for more than two weeks.

Lilith's mom was a very grounded woman, the type to find a small home that she loved and never leave. She was short, pudgy, and had bright ginger curls that framed her chubby freckled face and brown eyes. The only thing that Lilith got from her mother was the freckles. She was tall and lean, straight black hair, and green eyes shone from her olive skin. And unlike her mother, Lilith loved adventure. She had grown up taking Bella out for rides on her bike that would turn into getting home at midnight covered in dirt and sticks poking out of her hair. Whenever she was asked what had happened, Lilith would just say, "we went on an adventure!" But it seemed that this new adventure was to much, even for Lilith.

"Please don't make me go!" She sobbed into her mother's chest.

"I'm sorry baby. But the judge said that you need to go with your father. You know that I don't have enough money to feed both of us." She said sadly, stroking her daughters hair.

"I'll do twice the work! Me and Bella can heard sheep! We've done it before, and this time we could ask for money! Please Ma!" But no matter how much Lilith pleaded, her mother's decision never changed.

"Baby, when you're older you'll understand why I'm doing this. You may even thank me. But please, don't make this any harder than it already is. Go. Go before they drag you to the car." Lilith nodded, knowing that she couldn't convince her mother. She hugged her mom one last time, making sure that it lasted, kissed her on the cheek, and ran to Bella. She was sitting there, looking at Lilith as if to ask where they were going.

"Sorry, girl." Lilith whispered to her dog. "It's just me this time. But don't worry I'll be back before you know it. Take care of mom for me." She hugged her dog, Bella nuzzling her nose into Lilith's neck.

"Come on!" An angry man yelled from one of the cars that were parked on the front lawn. "We don't have all day!"

Lilith grabbed her bag and walked up to the car. She opened the back door, and looked at her house one last time. Her mom standing on the porch crying with Bella at her feet. She got into the car, and they quickly started off down the drive way.

Lilith could hear Bella barking and saw her trying to chase down the car. They reached the main road, and turned right. The trees blocked the view of her little house. 

Her farm. Her dog. Her mother. But most of all, 

her home.