🌷Chapter 7: Shadows of Doubt🌷

1 week later

Taehyung fidgeted with the hem of his shirt as he sat on the couch, nervously glancing at the clock. In a few hours, he would be meeting Jungkook's family and pack for the first time, and the weight of the occasion was almost too much to bear. He had asked his friends for advice, but nothing seemed to quell the anxiety gnawing at his insides.

Haneul had tried to help as much as he could. "I spoke with my aunt," he had said, offering Taehyung a comforting smile. "They value tradition a lot. Just be respectful and show interest in their customs. You'll be fine."

Jimin, ever the optimist, had simply advised him to be himself. "They'll love you for who you are, Tae. Just be genuine, and everything will work out. You're wonderful just the way you are. If they don't see that, it's their loss."

But as Taehyung and Jungkook drove to the pack's territory, his heart pounded in his chest. What if he wasn't good enough? What if they didn't accept him? The thoughts swirled in his mind, making him feel small and inadequate.

Jungkook squeezed his hand reassuringly, as if he heard his inner turmoil. "You'll be fine, Tae. I'm here with you."

When they arrived, Taehyung was struck by the grandeur of the pack's territory. It was a sprawling expanse of land, with traditional houses nestled among the trees and the air thick with the scent of pine and earth. The pack members greeted Jungkook with deep respect, bowing their heads and offering warm smiles. But when they turned their gaze to Taehyung, he felt their scrutiny and the weight of their expectations.

Despite the polite smiles and courteous words, Taehyung couldn't shake the feeling that he was being judged. They spoke to him about their ancestors and pack traditions, and while he tried to listen intently and show his appreciation, he felt like an outsider looking in.

Jungkook's mother, the pack's luna, was a striking woman with a regal air about her. She welcomed Taehyung with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Taehyung," she said, her voice smooth and controlled. But Taehyung could sense the underlying tension. He wasn't what she had envisioned for her son, and it was clear she didn't think he was suitable.

Jungkook's father was a stern man, his presence commanding and intimidating. He didn't speak to Taehyung, looked at him once, then went away. His disapproval was very palpable.

That night, as they settled into the room they were sharing, Jungkook tried to reassure Taehyung. "You did well today, petal. They just need time to get to know you."

But Taehyung couldn't ignore the nagging doubt. "Your father looked disappointed," he said softly. "Do you think he... expected us to be mated by now?"

Jungkook sighed, pulling Taehyung into his arms. "Maybe, but that's our decision, not his. We'll take that step when we're ready."

______

But Taehyung couldn't shake the feeling of inadequacy. He met Jeon Namjoon, Jungkook's elder brother and the next pack leader, along with his omega mate, Seokjin. They were kind and welcoming, offering Taehyung a glimmer of hope. Namjoon's easygoing nature and Seokjin's warmth made him feel a little less out of place.

However, that hope was short-lived. The next morning, Taehyung awoke to the sounds of the pack starting their day. He tried to shake off the lingering unease and joined Jungkook's family for breakfast. The atmosphere was tense, and he felt like an outsider looking in.

After breakfast, he wandered the pack grounds, trying to familiarize himself with his surroundings, while Jungkook was busy in meetings. As he passed by the pack house, he overheard voices coming from the kitchen. Curiosity got the better of him, and he paused to listen to the conversation, which shattered his fragile confidence.

"He's so different from what I expected," one of the women said, her tone laced with disdain.

"He's not a proper omega, just a pretty face" another one said, laughing softly. "He's from the city. What does he know about our ways?"

"And he hasn't even mated Jungkook yet," another added. "Can you believe it? Jungkook deserves someone better, someone like Miyeon."

Taehyung's heart clenched at the mention of the girl's name. Who was Miyeon? He had never heard Jungkook mention her before. Curiosity mingled with the hurt, but he knew better than to reveal himself now.

"She would have been the perfect bride," another replied. "She grew up here, knows our ways. And she adores Jungkook."

"Jungkook never saw her that way," another voice interjected, it was Seokjin's. "He cares for her as a friend, but he's never been interested in her romantically. He's always wanted his mate."

Feeling the weight of their judgment, Taehyung retreated to a quiet corner of the pack grounds, fighting back tears. His chest felt tight, and the self-doubt he'd been trying to suppress came crashing down on him.

Seokjin found him there, his gentle presence a small comfort. "Taehyung, what's wrong?" he asked softly, sitting down beside him.

Taehyung forced a smile. "I'm fine, really."

But Seokjin wasn't fooled. "You heard them, didn't you?," he asked softly.

Taehyung stayed quiet. "I'm so sorry you had to hear all that. They can be... harsh."

Taehyung's facade crumbled, and he felt the tears he'd been holding back spill down his cheeks. "I don't belong here, hyung. They think I'm not good enough for Jungkook. Maybe they're right."

Seokjin wrapped an arm around Taehyung, pulling him into a comforting embrace. "Don't listen to them. You're more than good enough. Jungkook loves you, and that's what matters. I've seen him the way he looks at you. I've never seen an ounce of emotion in his cold eyes...except the time you're with him."

Taehyung clung to Seokjin, his sobs wracking his body. He felt so small, so insignificant. The weight of the pack's expectations and his own self-doubt was crushing him. He couldn't hear anything else.

When he finally pulled away, Seokjin looked at him with gentle determination. "You have to believe in yourself, Taehyung. Jungkook chose you for a reason. Don't let anyone make you feel less than you are."

Taehyung struggled to speak past the lump in his throat. "They think I'm just a pretty face. They think Miyeon would be perfect for him. They wanted her to be his mate. Who..who is she hyung?"

Seokjin sighed. "She is—"

Miyeon was a childhood friend of Jungkook's who was considered the ideal omega by many in the pack. She was graceful, knowledgeable about their traditions, and had apparently harbored feelings for Jungkook for years. Learning that Jungkook had never reciprocated those feelings provided some comfort, but it did little to ease the sting of their harsh words.

"Miyeon is a part of Jungkook's past, but you're his present and future. He chose you, not her. You have to remember that."

"I know," Taehyung whispered, tears streaming down his face. "But it's hard. I feel like I'm constantly being compared to her, like I'll never be good enough. And Jungkook hyung, he's the epitome of perfect alpha. And I'm just...me"

Seokjin held his hand tightly. "It's going to take time, Taehyung. But you have to believe in yourself. Jungkook loves you for who you are, not who they want you to be."

Taehyung wished it was that easy as Jin made it sound. He just felt like an outsider. That's what he was to Jungkook's family. A stranger, an incompetent mate for their son. The said son who deserved so much more...

So much better than Taehyung.

________________________________

A/N: Your thoughts on the chapter?

🌷