Chapter Nineteen

Evelyn
. . .

I quite literally never want to leave this position-lying in her arms with her fingers combing through my hair-the warmth of her body against mine.

"We should stay like this forever," I mumble sleepily, nuzzling further into her neck.

"It's strange how a month ago I couldn't tell if you wanted to run from me or hide behind me; now you keep pulling me closer like I'm leaving," she chuckles teasingly.

"Shut up," I mutter, taking in the smell of roses and her warmth. We're so close, and yet it doesn't feel close enough.

"Sweet and angry-okay, sour patch kid."

"I swear to god, Sydney, I'm gonna leave," I threaten.

"Yeah, sure," she smiles. "We both know that's not true." And then she does something I don't expect-she plants a kiss on my forehead.

That stupid kiss sends a rush of warmth throughout my body, and I find myself nuzzling my head further into her neck. "Exactly what I thought," she teases.

"Yeah, yeah."

By the time Sydney and I get out of bed, it's completely reluctantly. First day of Thanksgiving break and we don't even get to spend it together, you know why? Because someone keeps knocking on the apartment door.

"I'll get it," she says. "You, like, sit down," she shrugs.

I pout, but with her back turned-damn, her ass looks amazing in shorts-wait, Evelyn-oh my gosh. Then again, I'm kind of in like with her, so I get to say that, right?

Before I can continue to question myself, Sydney opens the door, and right there is Dawn.

I'm in the middle of the kitchen and living room-therefore, in the door line.

"Evelyn, I don't wanna bother you, but they keep telling me to get you home," Dawn looks down. "Some bullshit about an envelope."

I stare blankly at her-not knowing if I should go or not.

"I'm... gonna make breakfast," Sydney says, turning and walking away.

She was kind of my emotional support-the person keeping me from breaking right then and there, but I get it.

"What's in the envelope?" I scoff, walking towards her. I have to remind myself it's not her I'm mad at-it's our sorry excuse for relatives. "Another letter about how Edward Fitzroy hates me?"

Dawn shrugs. "Whatever it is, they've been going insane since you left. They opened it and now desperately need you home."

"You think it was good or bad?" I ask.

"No telling," she sighs. "Look, Eve, I miss you, and I know you're trying to figure things out, but they've been a little... on me," she looks down. "Plus, who else do I watch Clueless with? Skylar Hollingsworth?"

"Ugh, as if," I joke, doing a pretty good Cher imitation.

This gets a smile out of Dawn-and a small suppressed giggle out of my apartment eavesdropping girlfriend.

Wait-can I call her my girlfriend? Or girl-that's-a-friend-who-I-happen-to-have-a-crush-on-who-likes-me-back?

"I'll come home," I sigh. "Not for long-only for you," I clarify.

"You sure? I can hold them off longer and start throwing a period tantrum-"

"Nooooo," I laugh. "That's a trauma I wish on no one."

"You'd wish it on Conner back in Lakeshore," she says with a pointed raise of her brow.

"Who wouldn't?" I scoff.

"See ya later, Evie," Dawn chuckles with a shake of her head. "Bye, Sydney."

And with that, Dawn leaves.

. . .
T A L E Y I A H