CHAPTER 35

Naawri checks her cutting knife’s sharpness before returning it to its sheath and dropping it into her beaded slingbag, a gift from Vahi.

“You going gathering today?” Her mate, who stands next to her checking the tension in his bowstring, asks.

“Yeah, Auntie says we need a variety of dyeing berries.”

“You're not going to the forest floor, are you?”

Her mind recalls the incident of two weeks ago and the encounter with the Sky People. The sound of their weapons explosive staccato, Hunters’ war cries, the wind pushing past as they fled on shrieking ikran remained vivid in her memory. Neteyam had been furious with her, especially since he’d advised her not to go because of the danger. It had been their first real argument as mates.

“Not after last time.” She brushes his tail with hers, heart fluttering with stardust when he responds by entwining them. She drops a soft kiss to his jaw. “What about you?” She dons her slingbag and strides to the fire pit.

“Day hunting with Eyvir and Ha'ew  in the mountains and patrol with Dad and Mom this evening.” She distributes food left over from breakfast into two foodwraps before folding them up with practiced ease and securing them with string.

“Busy day,” she observes.

“No more than usual.” She takes the pawyll leaves he offers, handing him a foodwrap. Eyvir and Ha'ew enter seconds later. They part with kisses, well wishes, and I love you’s. 

Naawri is returning home having dropped off the dyeing berries with Vahi when she encounters Neteyam's siblings. “Where are you guys going?” She asks.  What trouble was Lo'ak about to lead them to? Her younger heart brother gives a casual shrug.

“Exploring!” Tuk answers, nearly bouncing on the balls of her feet. “Do you want to come?”

“I can't yawntusyip, I’ve got duties.”

“Oh. Well we’ll be back before dusk,” Kiri promises.

She nods. Kiri wouldn't let them get into any terrible trouble. “Be careful.” With that she resumes her journey home.

Wiua visits and they Weave baskets together until Eyvir returns with Ha'ew. She enjoys her mate for all of 20 minutes before he departs for patrol. She visits her sisters, staying with them until it's nearly time for dinner, before returning home. Her brow creases when she finds their home empty. Patrol usually didn't last past sunset.  The pit of her belly roils with foreboding. Something is wrong.

She'd just convinced Eyvir and Rayka to go search for them when Noney barges in with news of their return.  She promptly departs the marui, meeting Neteyam on the way to High Camp's entrance. He’s soaking wet and his expression is one she’s not seen before. “Are you okay?”

A terse nod.

“What happened?” He shakes his head, nodding in the direction of home. She glances over her shoulder catching sight of her heart family. Jake's expression is a mixture of emotions, face-hair down turned, mouth in a hard frown. Neytiri’s expression is one she knows all too well for she's seen it on her late mother's face when she'd fished her out of the rushing river all those years ago. Lo'ak's head hangs. Were those tears? Kiri’s face is unnaturally blank while Tuk clings to Neytiri crying quietly. Wait. Where was Spider? Her eyes widen a fraction. Something had happened. Something bad.

She hugs each of her heart siblings tightly before following Neteyam to their home. He’s already hanging his weapons by the time she enters their warmly lit home. She says nothing, allowing him his space. Instead she goes about lighting the fire and putting tea on. Once done with that she retrieves one of their blankets- a warm thing with intricate geometric shapes and drapes it over his shoulders when he sits. “You’ll get sick.” She sits next to him, observing the haunted look on his face. “Neteyam, what happened?”