CHAPTER 36

The next day is filled with uncomfortable conversations. He notified his parents of their decision and the details thereof. “Are you sure about this?” His father asks, concerned about the toll of their separation on them.

“This is not good. I do not like this.” His mother shoves a skewer through a morsel of meat.

“We made this decision together.” Neteyam squeezes the hand in his own.

His father run his hands through his locks. “Alright I hear you, son.” He only nods.

Neteyam pauses at the entrance to her sisters’ home. He squeezes the smaller hand tucked in his. “You ready?”

“No,” she answers honestly.

He chuckles. Well they shared that in common. “We got this.” He squeezes her hand again.

Later, they sit around the fire pit with her family. He recounts the previous day’s events to her family. The room is quiet when he finishes. He looks at his mate, giving her an encouraging smile.

“So, in order to protect The People the Olo'eyktan has decided to seek uturu far away. Neteyam and I have decided to follow them.”  The reactions are as expected.

“What?! You're leaving?! Naawri you can't.” Noney shoots to her feet. “How could you?”

“Noni, paskalin.”

“No!” She storms from the home, throwing a glare at Neteyam on her way out. Rayka is as stoic as ever, but it's Eyvir that concerns him.

The older male's expression hardens, eyes like arrowheads. “No.”

“Eyvir.”

“No you are not taking my sister to Eywa knows where!”

“The decision is made Eyvir.”

He hisses in Neteyam's direction, “I regret the day you two ever saw each other.”

Naawri is on her feet then and so is Eyvir, verbally tearing into each other like angry palulukans.

Neteyam inhales a meditative breath. Eyvir’s words stung. He glances to Wiua who sits nonchalantly sipping her tea. Neteyam runs a hand through his hair, standing. He places a gentle hand on Naawri’s back. “Mawey, my seze. Mawey. Remember what we talked about.”

She quietens, but her expression remains fiery.

He steps between them. “We made this decision together brother. I and more importantly Nawri would appreciate it if you supported it.” He keeps his tone even, his expression calm.

The much taller male calms, lip still curled, but only just. Emotions flutter over his face, but instead of speaking he turns and stalks out.

The rejection stings. He'd thought he and Eyvir had bonded, but he supposed this was a bit much. Especially for a protective older brother.

Wiua shakes her head, but rises, a hand on her belly. “Well, I support your decision and don't worry I'll talk to him.”

He can only give Wiua a thankful nod, watching as she departs the home. He turns to his mate then, encircling an arm around her when she draws close and rests her head on his shoulder. “You ok?” He asks, planting a tender kiss on her head.

She doesn't verbally answer, shaking her head.

He schools his expression,  wrapping her deeper in his embrace. “I’m sorry syulang.” This was all his fault. He glances up when Rayka stands, lanky frame towering over both of them.

“Well that went mostly as expected.” Rayka remarks before dropping down in front of them. Her piercing gaze unnerves him. “How about some tea?”