Twenty-three

Sunho couldn't believe he and Heejun were sitting across from each other again. He thought about how this man knew almost everything about him, and yet right now they were more strangers than anything. The sense of comfort that they found from being together had long gone, with sadness in its place.

"Thank you, Sunho samchon for agreeing to this," Hyoseop led the conversation, "I know I've asked so much of you over the past week,"

Sunho shook his head, "If anything, I should be thanking you as well. If you hadn't been persistent, we wouldn't have found out about the truth,"

Sejeong, who had been standing at the corner of the living room to give everyone some space, smiled at the comment. She had never been prouder of Hyoseop in her entire life.

"I'm glad we found out," he continued, "it was about time we had this conversation,"

Hyoseop gazed over to his parents, who were staring down at the table, no doubt trying to find the right words to say. He gave his mother, who was sitting next to him, a gentle nudge, in hopes that he was giving her the strength she needed to say what was on her mind.

Sujin spoke softly, but from the heart, "I can't tell you how many nights I've dreamt of us being able to be together like this. Although I wish it was under better circumstances, it's still a relief to finally be here," she paused to look at Sejeong and Youngmin, "you two have done an extraordinary job at raising your children, I'm sad to have missed out on seeing them grow up,"

Hyungsoon smiled, "They are amazing kids, but you shouldn't discount Hyoseop either. We've only started to get to know him again, but from what I've seen so far, he's a man of intellect and integrity, you should be proud of that,"

Hearing those words moved Sujin, and she couldn't help the tears that escaped her eyes, "Thank you, Hyungsoon-ah," she reached across to hold her friend's hand, "You have no idea how much it means to me, and let me be the first to apologise, for everything that we've done. There's no excuse for how horrible we've been to all of you, over the years,"

"As much as it hurt, deep down we knew that you had your reasons, and now we all know that we were trapped," she replied sincerely, "of course, we were hurt, but what matters now is that you're all here, seeking to make amends. Which is why I can't tell you how grateful enough I am for your son, who never stopped fighting,"

Sujin was sobbing desperately now, Heejun still sitting in silence next to her. In truth, he felt so much shame that he didn't even know where to begin. He thought about the last words he had said to Sunho before cutting him off and wished he could take it all back. He couldn't even look him in the eye now, knowing full well he didn't deserve his forgiveness.

It was almost as if Sunho knew, "Would you be able to give Heejun and me a minute? Please, Sujin, make yourself comfortable. I'm sure you have a lot to catch up about with my wife,"

Hyoseop glanced at his father quickly, before making his way towards Sejeong. He sent a quick prayer up to the heavens to open his father's heart.

Once everyone was out of earshot, Sunho cleared his throat, "Who would've thought we'd end up here?"

Heejun spoke up for the first time since he got here, "Yeah, crazy isn't it,"

"Listen, Heejun-ah,"

"No please," he interrupted, "let me get this out,"

Sunho backed down, "Go ahead,"

"For years, I've pondered over what I would say to you if I ever came across your face again," he paused, "and believe me, most of them aren't nice and probably should never be heard within the light of day. I wanted you to know how hurt I was that you, someone I trusted with my own life, betrayed me in such a way. I wanted to tell you how much hurt you caused my family, and how it nearly tore Sujin and I apart, how it risked me not being able to provide for Hyoseop's future,"