50- THE WARNING ⚠

"Starting already? You're no fun"

* ~ * ~ * 

~(PRESENT)~

"She's dead for good."

"SHE SHOULD BE!" I forced a laugh, knowing that dear Karen was long gone.

Dianne, my daughter, rested her head on my knee, looking up at me with an empathetic expression.

"Did that really happen to you, Mom?" She spoke softly, already on the verge of tears.I smiled while gently caressing her hair. She had always been the type to cry during movies, feeling sorry for characters with tragic endings. I could only imagine the pain she would have felt knowing what her mother had endured.

"No, sweetie, this story was only inspired by my romantic experiences. Not everything is literally true," I said, offering a white lie to spare her feelings. White lies never cut as deep, but they can be a lifesaver.

She squinted her eyes, still pouting. "See, I just added that stuff for the plot. A book is boring without some thrill," I explained. After my explanation, she finally relaxed and sighed in relief.

 I couldn't bear the thought of her believing that the world had haunted and hurt me, viewing life as a living hell. I didn't want that for her.

"NOW, SHOW US THE THRILL, MA'AM!" The hyper one never failed to exude energetic enthusiasm.

The other, always finding everything hot, chimed in, "Isn't it hot, though, the two? Like, damn."

"I KNOW, RIGHT? NOW, SHH, MA'AM, PLEASE TELL US WHAT'S NEXT!" they exclaimed eagerly. Dianne and I ended up laughing together in unison. 

 ~ (in 1988) ~

The brightness was intense, almost blinding me. Smoke began to surround me, and I waved my hand to clear my view.

As a figure approached, the smoke seemed to part around them, and I squinted through the haze until the person stood before me.

"How's my baby doing?"

My eyes widened in disbelief. "Mom?" My shock quickly turned to confusion as I scanned my surroundings. "wait. am I dead?"  

Glancing around once more, I noticed everything shrouded in smoke, with the sun shining above, though its warmth was absent.

The place was chilly, cold, and empty yet in this divine realm, there was a feeling of weightlessness and freedom, as if all worries and burdens had been lifted.

Oh well, I guess I'm dead, this is nice.

Finally peace?

"Silly, you're not dead" I looked back at my mother dressed in all white, looking stunningly beautiful and strangely younger than me.

if I'm not dead and if this is just all a dream then why not hug her.  "Mom I miss you" Without hesitation, we embraced, and I held onto her tightly, emotions swept through me before I realized I burst out tears.

She didn't pull away but instead comforted me with gentle words. "I know, I know," she murmured, patting my back. "I know life has been hard on you, and you don't deserve that." 

"Mom, I'm tired. I'm hurt, I'm so sick of living!"

"Baby, that's okay, I'm here for you" I shook my head disagreeing. Crying harder even more.