30 - 𝘈𝘯 𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺

After I handed out another latte, I checked my phone to see if Minho had updated me about his talk with Newt.

"Are you on a break?" I heard Alby's voice and turned to face him.

"No, why?"

"Don't use the phone then. Okay?" He gave me a small smile to imply that he wasn't being rude and got back to his business.

I nodded, taking the following order from another table.

"Two croissants, one black coffee without sugar, and one latte with one teaspoon of sugar."

"Takeout?"

"No, we'll stay." I looked up at her and her smile immediately got wider. "Hey I know you, you're a friend of Thomas right?"

I smiled too. "Yeah, have we met?"

"Not exactly, sometimes I see you at the bar where your brother plays the music."

"So you know Newt then?"

"It's impossible not to, Thomas always talks about him." She let out a small chuckle, but after I gave her a confused smile she added "Oh god this is so embarrassing, I haven't even introduced myself—"

I chuckle. "I assume you know Thomas from university."

"No, I actually met him in the middle of nowhere, my car broke down and he gave me a ride. We've been friends ever since."

"I see, nice to meet you—"

"Right, I'm Brenda."

"Nice to meet you Brenda, and just to be clear, two croissants, one black coffee without sugar, and one latte with one teaspoon of sugar right?"

"Yes, thank you!"

I gave her a smile before going back to the kitchen.

"Hey Alby, quick question. Why do we need a kitchen if all they're ordering are coffee and croissants or pancakes?"

"After your shift is over, a new one starts. From six pm to ten pm. During that time we serve dinner, which I'm making, so that's why we need a kitchen."

"Makes sense. Anyway, I need two coffee, one black without sugar and one latte with one teaspoon of sugar."

"Will be ready in a minute!"

"I can make it if you don't have time,"

"It's alright, go take another order and I will have this one ready when you come back."

I nodded and went out to see if anyone was waiting to order.

Sixth one. Man in a hoodie, suspicious, could be—no thank you.

Not today.

I got back in the kitchen. "Heyy Alby, could I ask you a favor?"

"Depends on what it is."

"I'll make the coffee, just please can you take an order from the sixth table?"

"I'm not a waiter Mila."

"Pretty please? Just this once!"

He sighed and left the kitchen.

Whoever he was, at least I managed to avoid taking an order from a possible creep.

As I started to make coffee, my phone went off.

I answered without looking at the number. "Can't talk!"  And hung up.

I went out of the kitchen with an order placed on a tray which I was trying not to drop. "There you go, sorry for making you wait!"

"Are you okay? Your hands are shaking." I heard Brenda's concerned voice.

"Yeah, it's just slightly heavy." I chuckle. "Enjoy!"

I rush to the bathroom and look in the mirror.

I ate the food today. Quite much. Why am I still shaking?

I splashed cold water on my face and quickly went out to find Alby.

"I'm off to break," I say quickly and rush out of the cafe.

I walked down the street with quick steps, trying to steady my breath.

I could feel steps behind me.

Can be anyone, right? It's three pm.

I unlocked my phone to call back to Minho who was calling me earlier.

Huh. There's no call from him.

I stopped walking to search for his call but all I saw was an unknown number.

Unknown number.

Oh god.

I opened the front camera and held it close to my face to see if someone was behind me, but until I was able to sigh in relief, I felt a tight grip on my wrist and I got pulled into the alley.

I cried out in pain as I was slammed against the wall. "What the hell did you do?!"

"What—"

"I know you were in the police! What did you tell them about me?!"

"Everything," I said through my teeth.

"Yeah?" He scoffed. "I thought you were smarter than this Mila."

"You know, I liked you, Mila. Too bad you're gonna have to die."

I didn't have time to process his words before something pressed against my mouth. Panic surged through me, but I couldn't move, nor could I scream. It felt like a vice closing in, stealing my breath, suffocating me with its intensity.

My vision blurred, sounds muffled into echoes as my body grew heavy, unresponsive. Fear mingled with confusion as I fought against him with the strength that wasn't enough.

And then, darkness swallowed everything around me into its silent abyss.

Heeyyyy

Sorry for not updating for a week, I had no motivation))

Anyway, take care!!