Why "Immediately" is Unnecessary

If I had to make a list of the top five most overused yet unnecessary words in drafts (and books which never met an editor), "immediately" would be added, without a doubt.

Since we all love examples, let’s go there first:

The aliens were in quick persuit, ready to devour the flesh from his bones if they caught him. He jumped into his spaceship and immediately began pressing the buttons for take off.

No, really? He didn’t check his hair in the mirror? Pick at his teeth? Plug in his Ipod?

Of course the pressing of buttons was “immediate”.

In fact, just about anything a character does is considered to be immediate unless otherwise stated.

He opened the fridge and immediately began searching for the butter.

If it wasn’t immediately, then you, the author, would have told us he did something else first.

He opened the fridge and began searching for the butter.

See how it means the same thing, without telling us it was immediately?

He opened the fridge, scratched his crotch, then began searching for the butter.

Oops, that wasn’t immediate.

So, let me reiterate:

If it wasn’t immediate, you wouldn’t have told us this next; he would have done something else first.