Why You Don't Need as Many Italics as You Think You Do

Most fiction books these days are written in either first person or third person limited. The chosen point of view dictates certain aspects of the writing style but one important element is shared between those two: the intimacy between character and reader.

When writing in first person (using I), the tone becomes personal. The character is sharing his or her thoughts as narrative, and this develops rapport with the reader.

The same applies with third person limited. The key to all this is the word “limited”, which is opposite “omniscient”. In omniscient, the reader knows all. It tends to be less personal and, therefore, less popular. Do not confuse this with multiple point of views in one book, separated by scene or chapter.

The truth is, third person limited is almost as intimate as first person. Well, it should be anyway. Let me give an example:

I watched the werewolf pack inch closer. It was over. Right here, right now.

Then they halted.

Good puppies.

Now try this:

He watched the werewolf pack inch closer. It was over. Right here, right now.

Then they halted.

Good puppies.

Notice how both paragraphs convey the same connection with the reader. The problem is, many new writers assume because “good puppies” is an intimate sentiment from the character, it must be italicized. Now get a character who has something to say about everything and you have italics on nearly every page, and sometimes even several per page.

This is jarring to the reader. Not only that, but it’s unnecessary.

By ridding of superfluous italics, you are actually capturing the sense of intimacy that first person is usually credited. Either style can forge a strong bond with the reader, but the writer must know how to make that happen.