𖤓 - lingering tension

"STOP BEING CHILDISH."

Isao spoke, wearing his usual stoic face as he glared at the two teenagers in front of him, making his daughter shudder and turn to him. "I apologize for mine and his disrespectful behavior, father." Hachi gently took narumi's hands off of her collar and clasped them in her palms for a few seconds before letting go and distanced herself, remaining nonchalant as the boy stared at her. Narumi was absolutely speechless, after what he said- he was sure that he'd get a reaction out of her but she gave him nothing. He expected her to blush or to get flustered, but she brushed it off like it was nothing. He was both confused and intrigued.

"Hachi, I want you to consistently train with narumi. Like I said before, surpass even him in combat." Isao said, staring straight into his daughter's eyes as she nodded to his command. "I understand, father." Hachi complied, making an irk mark appear on narumi's forehead. "I didn't sign up to be her training partner! Isn't it unfair that I wasn't informed of something like this?" Narumi complained, making the girl side-eye him. "Can you not be disrespectful to your superiors? It's annoying" Hachi deadpanned, shocking narumi a bit but he just became even angrier.

"Fine! Fight me then, It's your funeral."

Narumi said before storming out of the director general's office, Isao heaved a sigh as hachi looked down at the floor, she didn't know what to say to her father in this situation. "I'm sor-" Hachi was about to apologize, but her father cut her off. "Go train with him, I'll be expecting results." Isao waved her away dismissively as she gave him a respectful bow before leaving his office.

"HEY YOU!"

Hachi turned her head towards the voice, eyes landing on the captain who was making his way to her with his brows furrowed and an obvious annoyed face. "It's hachi" She told him, which made narumi grit his teeth. "I know that!" He exclaimed, making the girl roll her eyes at him and shift her focus back to the book she was reading.

Narumi felt offended and took the book from her hands, earning a sharp glare from the girl. "Spar with me!" Hachi suddenly stood up and took back her book, placing it on the table as she put a hand at the of narumi's head and pushing his face closer to her's with her fingers clenching his hair. "You're on!" She grinned, their faces still very close to each other that their noses almost touched as narumi stood his ground and didn't move his face away as he guided her back against the table, hachi's free hand making it's way to the table's edge as narumi got closer.

Neither of them pulling away, glaring at each other while hachi's fingers tightly grasp his hair and narumi's hands were placed on the table in between hachi's waist. The tension was so thick, they completely forgot that the door was wide open..

"Am I interrupting something?" "Shinonome?!"

Platoon leader shinonome made an appearance, standing in front of them awkwardly with her hands on her sides. Narumi quickly distanced himself away from the shinomiya with light blush on his cheeks as hachi made her way back to her chair and bit the inside of her cheek, avoiding eye-contact due to embarrassment.

Shinonome cleared her throat "Uhm..S-So I wanted to inform you that training room is open, captain." She reported, narumi nodded and glanced at hachi before dismissing shinonome. She left the two alone once more, leaving before she sees something she isn't supposed to see.

"Come on, let's go." "Right behind you, captain."

"I expected more from you, captain."

Hachi smirked, hovering over narumi who was heavily breathing as he looked up at her with a determined look on his face. "As if I'll let you beat me" He stood up, spinning his practice blade as he charged at her. Hachi dodged his continuous attacks, his blade slashing at her sides as she swiftly avoided it. "Ghh..!" Narumi swept her off of her feet, making her land on the floor with a thud. Her pink hair falling on her face as he raised her chin with his blade, wearing a smirk as he hovered over her, evidently enjoying the view of her defeated face.

"One more time!" "As you wish~"

After a few more attacks, hachi finally has the upper hand and took the chance to pin him to the ground. Her blade pressed against his neck, her hand holding both of his wrists above his head, her figure between his legs and their faces were so close to each other that they could feel each other's hot breath. This position was quite embarrassing for narumi as he felt completely defenseless. "Do you yield?" "No way!"

Narumi wrapped his legs around hachi, making her raise her brow in confusion before he broke out of her grasp and raised his body, head-butting the girl with all his strength. She let out a yelp of surprise as narumi pushed her to the ground, her blade was thrown a few feet away from where she laid and narumi's hands held her wrists to prevent her escape. He was just above her chest as she gazed up at him, their foreheads both aching due to how strong narumi hit her.

"You have a good body.." Hachi blurted out, making narumi's face turn red at the sudden compliment. "What the hell?! Don't say things like that s-so suddenly!" He shouted, his breath was heavy due to exhaustion as the girl breathed out a sigh of defeat. "You win" "Finally!" He let go of the girl and laid on the spot next to her, they were both exhausted and their foreheads hurt so bad (credits to narumi).

"Hey.." Narumi spoke, hachi turned her head towards him and remained silently waiting for him to continue. "You're a good fighter.." He muttered, he doesn't usually compliment others so he felt extremely embarrassed to do such a thing. Hachi's lips curved into a small smile as she turned her body towards him. "Thanks, captain." Narumi's eyes widen and he sat up, confusing the girl a bit but she brushed it off. The male turned away from her, putting a hand up to his mouth and hachi swore she could see blush over his ears.

'That smile is dangerous..'

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Tell me if I should change anything or improve some things in the comments! I wanted to add tension in the two's relationship and I know it's going a bit fast since they technically just formally met earlier but for them, it's absolutely normal since they're doing it to intimidate one another if that makes sense 😭 I'll make it better in the next chapter, don't worry

Don't forget to vote, comment, and enjoy! ⊹ ‧₊˚