Damn

Cregan was in the training yard, his hair was wet with sweat and his cheeks were dotted with redness.

He was fighting one of his men, Banen, he was a wide and tall man. Rumours spread that he was half giant, which he didn't deny as he thought it made him sound scarier. This particular brawl had relentlessly been going on for quite a while, so long in fact that the intensity of the row had formed a crowd.

Grunts and the banging of swords intensified as the cheers and gasps of the audience watched intensely. The horde of people intrigued Daena and lured her to watch.

As the Lord Stark's anger intensified he began to roll up his sleeves, displaying his veins that wrapped around his arms like vines, and his biceps, that even at rest maintained a full appearance. The princess was so captivated that she couldn't even focus on the fight, only him.

It was when the lord ran his fingers through his hair making it even more messy and turned his head and made eye contact with the girl. She couldn't bear it any longer. She then peered over to the gaggle of ladies that dropped their days tasks to also gape at the lord. Daena grew aware of the situation and refused to be another swooning girl.

Embarrassed by her thoughts she quickly scurried towards the sept where her mother stood waiting for her.

"You can never be on time. Can you?" Queen Alicent spoke. She then looked at the princess up and down and a look of disappointment painted across her face. "We have spoken about modesty and the way we dress, Daena."

Alicent was speaking about the princess' dress and how the neckline was no were near her neck. Instead it drooped so low parts of cleavage showed.

"Forgive me for trying to steer society away from horrendously high necklines."

Daena loved dresses and clothing and jewels. She loved wearing different designs of fabric and entering society with 'outlandish' attire. The public would gasp and stare but only in a day would their wives and sisters be wearing the same thing. She was the innovator of these trends and people would look to her for inspiration.

Together in the sept she and her mother would sit and pray in silence, this would range from only a few minutes to hours. Daena was open to all and any religion as she understood the importance of faith and although it was always the reason for war, it still implied structure to society and value to peoples lives. It provided hope.

She loved the stillness and quietness of it all. It allowed her to rest her bustling mind and focus. The tranquility of it reminded her of her sister and how when Daena was in need of accompanied silence she would always find herself knocking on Halaenas door.

As the two women rode back on carriage through the streets of kings landing Alicent mentioned a particular name. "And have you talked lord Cregan since his arrival?"

"Not yet." Daena answered

Alicent turned to her daughter in despair, "we held a feast for him last night and you didn't even acknowledge him?"

"I was busy talking to other people."

"You mean you were talking to Lewyn all night... Suspicion will grow Daena."

"Mother, you know nothing would ever happen between me and him."

"I know that, it's the people who don't. Rumours and gossip will spread... Keep your distance before vile accusations start."

Daena continued to look forward, the carriage bobbed up and down over the uneven streets and she knew her and Lewyn friendship wouldn't stop because of this, this was her mothers weekly routine of trying to separate the two.

Alicent knew Daenas plan even if Daena didn't know herself, to attach herself and her name to Lewyn so eligible suitors would turn themselves away. She knew the princess' dislike for marriage and how she wished to just be able to live and fly across the seven kingdoms and further. To bring back new clothing and culture, how she wished to tip social norms over the edge and send the patriarchy flying.

But what Alicent didn't know is that she secretly wished for love. To be touched and kissed, how she longed for secret love confessions and to be completely infatuated with someone.

                       ──── ∗ ⋅✧⋅ ∗ ────

Daena had arrived back at the castle and resisted the urge to walk through the training yard to see if the lord were still there. She continued with her day and found herself unaccompanied walking the halls of the palace.

She was deep in thought before she heard another set of footsteps. She lifted her head expecting a servant but was surprised to see the Lord Stark.

He also gazed up at her and immediately hung his head and continued to walk. Danea stopped and smiled, and out of politeness Cregan did too.

There they stood in the dimly lit corridors of the castle standing awkwardly smiling at each other.

"My apologies my princess i haven't yet introduced myself, i am L -"

"I know who you are." Daena interrupted.

Silence. The lord then bowed his head and began to walk away.

Daena sighed, hearing her mother's voice ring in her head, "Wait." He stopped. "I wish to speak with you some more."

The two strolled together through the castle.

"I saw you fighting today in the yard, you attract quite a crowd."

"It was all Banen, he could have had me on the floor in seconds."

"I know." Daena said with the intention of sounding like she had actually watched the match with intensity.

The lord scrunched his brows in confusion at the comment, "i saw you leave. Where did you go in such a rush."

"Well i didn't fancy joining your already enormous gaggle of maidens cheering your name."

"You mean you didn't fancy being a normal girl for once."

"Being normal is a burden." She said. "And since when did begging for your attention become the norm?"

"Well i know no different." He replied with a sarcastic grin.

"Yes well I'm sure you have women flailing and swooning into your arms." Daena said with annoyance, not picking up on his jesting manner.

"You have not yet flailed nor swooned."

"That is because i do not intend to." She grumbled with disgust.

"You don't think of me as good enough, do you." Cregan kept his confident smile on his face.

"Quite frankly I don't think anyone is good enough, at least not for me."

Silence. Cregan had a realisation of disgust for the princess. How intolerable and self indulgent she was. "And yet you will still have to settle for a boring, mediocre, snob who will only marry you for your name and for heirs."

"Oh and you wouldn't do the same?" She was horrified by the lack of respect he had when speaking to her. He first questioned why she didn't fall into his arms, as if she were a childish damsel ready to fling her self in any direction a man was. And then to further more comment on her future marriage.

Suddenly, a low voice was heard at the other end of the hall, "everything alright my princess?"

"Everything is alright sir Bors." Daena said still staring directly into Cregans eyes. "If you could escort me to my chambers. Me and the lord are now going our separate ways."

Cregan smiled with a huff followed by Daena doing the same before she walked away.