Chapter 17: Ice cream

After a ten-hour flight, I'm exhausted, even though I fell asleep not once, but twice

After a ten-hour flight, I'm exhausted, even though I fell asleep not once, but twice. I have a feeling that the more hours I sleep, the less energy I have.

Kai, who also looks a bit tired, and I got out of the black SUV in front of the hotel, the sun low in the sky.

Above the entrance to the hotel there is a glass roof with lighting, above which is the gold inscription Keller-Díaz. There are smaller trees in black pots on the sides of the doors, which open for movement, and staff standing a few feet in front.

Roger, whom I have met several times via video call, is standing between two other people. Roger is an elderly man with thinning gray hair, bright blue eyes and glasses. He is slightly thinner and is wearing a black turtleneck and pants.

To his right is a slightly younger man in a suit and tie, with a name tag on his chest's left side. He has short brown hair and looks freshly shaven.

To Roger's left is a woman wearing a feminine blue suit with a white shirt and name tag. She has blonde hair in a low bun and bold make-up.

"Miss Keller, welcome." Roger was the first to greet me, walking up to me and shaking my hand. "I'm glad we can finally see each other face to face." He smiled at me.

"Likewise." I nodded. "I apologize for the delay, there was a minor problem with our luggage at the airport." I looked at my watch, which showed almost nine o'clock in the evening. I hate jet lag.

"That's not a problem." He shook his head. "Elias." He turned to the guy behind him. "Please take Miss Keller's luggage to her room."

"Of course." Elias nodded and walked to the car trunk, where Kai was already standing, picking out our travel bags.

"Kai Acker." He shook hands with Elias before handing him both bags.

"Uhm..." Roger's gaze jumped between me and Kai. "I wasn't aware..."

"It was last minute. I hope you don't mind my business partner joining me." I pointed with my hand at Kai, who approached us. "I'm sure there will be a place for him somewhere." Even though I knew more than half of the rooms were empty, it was the polite thing to say.

"I'll make sure they get his room ready right away." He nodded at the woman behind him, who immediately turned and strode into the building, disappearing from view, Elias at her heels.

"Kai Acker, my pleasure." He held out his hand to Roger.

"Roger Schulz." He accepted his hand.

"I'm sure you're both tired from the flight. We've prepared dinner for you, please." He took a step to the side and pointed to the hotel.

"Thank you." I nodded and stepped forward, two guys immediately with me.

I entered the hotel, the marble columns and large chandeliers catching my attention first. The white marble stairs that led to the upper floor were opposite the door.