Chapter 26: Relationships

I don't know what I was trying to do, but when Adrianna's hand landed on my cheek, I recovered quickly

"What the hell?" I grabbed my cheek and took a step back.

I can safely say that I have never been rejected by anyone, so this is a new experience. Of course, Adrianna is the first woman to slap me when I try something.

"You deserved it." She swallowed hard. "Cornering me in my own apartment? Saying stuff..." She threw up her hands. "like that. What else did you expect?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "I told you I was going crazy because of you and I was expecting something, but not for you to slap me. What the hell, Adrianna?"

"You're giving me a headache." She put her fingers on her temples and slipped past me. "Once you're so cold that you don't talk to me for days, and then you come to my apartment, cook for me, and start pouring your little heart out. You're like two different people, Kai, choose who you are!"

"You're exactly the same, so what do you want from me?" I snorted and followed her into the living room. "Once we're enjoying our time together and then you avoid me because you're jealous of my sister."

"I'm not jealous." Suddenly she stopped and turned on the spot. Since I was right behind her, I almost ran into her directly. "You mean nothing to me, Kai. You're just another..."

"Business partner." I finished her sentence for her. "So you invite all your business partners to your apartment? You have lunch with them, you share your personal life with them, you travel across the ocean with them, and God knows what else we did that I can't remember right now? Wake up, Adrianna! Open your eyes and look at us." I dug my finger into my chest. "There's something between us whether you want to admit it or not, but don't tell me this is just a business because it's not true."

"Do you know what is between us?" She narrowed her eyes. "Lies and secrets. This was a mistake, we never should've..."

"I'll stop you right here." I jumped into her speech and grabbed both of her forearms. "What had to happen, happened, and I don't regret a single thing. I honestly enjoyed every second I spent with you, even when you still hated me. I told you things that would never come out of my mouth. I shared things with you about my family, which I never do, but for some reason, when it comes to you, I want to tell you everything about myself." I swallowed hard, knowing that even if I wanted to, I couldn't tell her everything.

"And what do you expect from me?" She frowned. "Thanks? I didn't want anything from you, Kai. I didn't want you in my life. In a matter of weeks, you broke down walls that took me years to build. Do you think that's what I wanted when I came from Orlando? No! I wanted a normal, quiet life. I was planning to be immersed in work, not worry about...this." She dug her hands into my chest and tried to push me away, but I still held her forearms tightly.