Chapter 27: It's complicated

I didn't want to eavesdrop on Adrianna and Nicole's conversation, but I couldn't help it

When I didn't find Nicole in her usual place, I walked over to the office, the door of which was ajar and accidentally overheard them.

I immediately wanted to turn around when I heard what they were talking about, the Nicole and Smith situation, but then their subject changed.

"You kissed him? When?"

"Can we pretend I didn't say anything?" Adrianna murmured.

"Um, no? Are you out of your mind? Talk, when did it happen? What happened?"

"Ugh." She let out a frustrated breath. "It just happened, okay? It's no big deal."

"Okay, so if it's no big deal, you talked with him about it, right?" Silence. "That's what I thought."

"It's complicated."

"What isn't in this day and age? That's a bad excuse, and you know it."

However, it's not an excuse. Adrianna is right, it is complicated.

I don't even know what got into me when I wanted to kiss her, but she showed me enough of her feelings towards me when she slapped me. The fact that she later kissed me surprised me more than if she had shot me in the head.

I was in an awkward situation because I was starting to feel something for her. I had no right to do that. Out of all the women in the whole world, I chose the one I can't feel anything for. How did I get here?

"Okay," Nicole spoke up again, "do you have feelings for him? Or is it just a physical attraction?"

"I'd have to be blind if I wasn't physically attracted to him." I smiled at her answer. Good to know. "But look at what he's doing. No guy in my life has ever done for me what Kai did."

"I sense that there is a but."

"But he'll be gone in a month when his contract is up. He's not staying here, Nicole, not because of me."

"You can't know that, maybe..."

"I won't sell him the hotel." She interrupted her. "And he's going to hate me for it. The only good memories I have of my childhood are from that island. If I give it up, I feel like I'll be giving up those memories too."

"And what if he doesn't? Maybe he'll understand and..."

"He's a businessman. His job will always come first. I know because I'm the same."

"Adrianna..."

"Please stop. I don't want to talk about this anymore. What's going to happen is going to happen. I have to get back to work, anything else besides the papers?" I heard her shift back in her chair and stand up, her heels tapping on the floor as she walked somewhere.