6

We put the stuff into the bags and collected a few other things from the rooms. We gathered one by one in the lounge.

"Ready?" Cody asked as he held the door handle. We nodded and gripped our weapons tightly. We only had a bunch of knives but it had to do.

It was dark but we made our way off the porch and behind some high bushes. We stopped when Cody held up his hand. I tried to look to where he was looking and I felt dizzy when I saw about 5 infected slowly walking on the street.

Kris held my hand and we waited for them to leave.

The infected was out of our sight for now, so we slowly walked out of the bushes.

We walked silently, afraid to draw any attention to us. We automatically walked in pairs, Zak and Luke in the back, Kris and Ash in the middle then Cody and me in the front, only God knows why.

I cringed internally at how cliché the situation was with him and I in the front. I mean he was hot but nothing else. In the chaos we're in right now? That would be dumb.

My body took a screenshot when I heard something snap. I turned hoping it wouldn't be what I thought it was.

Fuck sakes. It was exactly what I thought it was.

A fucking infected.

It was a man who looked freshly turned. His clothes were mostly clean except for the blood that stained his shirt, coming from his own wound at his cheek. He staggered forward and sniffed the air toward us.

We looked at Cody and he put his finger to his lips, his eyes on the infected infront of us.

I then realised that they can't see us well but use their smell mostly to sniff the living out.

It thankfully staggered off to a nearby house away from us.

I sighed and turned around when I heard a female's scream the air.

"What now." I muttered and grabbed my knife.

We turned to find a lady running towards us. Cody ran to the front and pulled out his kitchen knife. The weird thing was she looked human and stopped when she saw the knife.

She held her hands up, "Please don't. I'm not infected!" she cried out.

"How do we know that?" Cody said in a low voice.

"I-i don't know. I'm not bitten. I swear. My house got run down with these things and my family..." she fell on her knees and cried.

I gulped. I thought of my family and if the same thing happened to them.

"Please take me with you. I don't want to die."

"Cody maybe we should. We can't leave her to die." Kris turned and whispered, sympathy in her eyes.

I said nothing but inside I wanted to take her with us. On the other hand we didn't know if she was telling the truth about her being clean.

"Wait since when is he the decision maker?" Luke questioned.

"Since he started making the decisions." Ash replied.

"So he's the leader now?" Luke looked at him, "We don't even know him."

Cody stared back at him. He was slightly taller and less muscular but looked like he could throw a heavy punch.

"We don't have time for this man. We have to decide now. The infected might get here." Zak said and pushed Luke back slightly.

"Let's go." Cody told the girl and began walking.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." the girl said and got up quickly, following us.