chapter 6

As the doctor walked into the room, Lucy looked up hopefully for some good news instead of bad news.

"Sorry, can I interrupt?" Doctor Stevens asked, hoping to speak to Wade and Luna.

"Of course, what's up?" Wade started to talk in an optimistic voice, hoping for some good news.

The last few weeks had been hard on them as they were worried about Lucy but also if she would make it out. If they didn't find a bone marrow transplant soon for Lucy, it helped that the chemo made Lucy easily tired, so she doesn't always hear the conversations between Wade and Luna and the doctor Stevens. But this was different than the last time.

"So how are you feeling today, Lucy?" "Not that bad, seeing I haven't thrown up yet so that's good, but I'm also very tired."

Luna went to sit on Lucy's bed trying to comfort Lucy by rubbing her back as it helps her relax.

"That's great to hear, so hard to why I'm here, can I speak to your mom and dad in the hallway."

Lucy's face turned somber. Why wouldn't she say it in front of her, why does it need to be everyone except Lucy.

"I don't see why not," Lucy said casually, putting on a fake smile, but realizing that it probably would be bad news.

As Doctor Stevens walked out of the room, while Wade and Luna following right behind.

"So as you guys know it's been hard to find a bone marrow transplant for Lucy but we need to take some action as Lucy isn't responding to the chemo."

Wade and Luna looked at each other with worry in their eyes about Lucy.

"What's the plan as nobody we know is a match for Lucy and it is hard to get a donor for her," Luna asked as she knew there weren't many options for Lucy.

"That's what I wanted to talk about and the reason why we are outside Lucy's room. So, if we can't find a donor there is one other option that isn't discussed yet as we know Lucy isn't your biological daughter so could we get in contact with her biological parents to see if one of them is a match for Lucy."

"Yea, I hear! This isn't something we need an immediate answer so think about it and let us know as soon as possible." With that said, the doctor Stevens left.

As Wade and Luna entered Lucy's room, Lucy shot up from her bed hoping to know what that was all about.

"What's wrong?"

They could see it in their faces that something is wrong.

"Please Lucy lay back down I will tell you."

Lucy laid back down while Luna went to sit on her feet on the bed.

"So, we are going to ask you something I am not fond of doing but it's the only option to help you get better."

You could see Lucy's face drop while Luna explained what they wanted to do to help Lucy.

Later that evening Tim went to visit Lucy like every day.

"Hey, Lucy, how you feel today."

Lucy needed to think about it before answering after the news she got this morning.

"They want to contact my birth parents to ask them for the bone marrow transplant."

Lucy started to cry just thinking about her parents.

"Come here," Tim went to sit beside Lucy letting her cry it out until she fell asleep.

"Hey Tim, how is she doing?" Wade asked, walking back into the room. "She has a hard time processing this morning. You know this was the first time I ever heard her talk about her parents."

"I know we don't even know her parent's names every time we wanted to talk about it, she sat down and ran to her room."

"So, if I can ask, what's the plan?"

Wade sat down in the chair with his head in his hands. "I don't know, son. I don't know what to do anymore. Everything we try is not working and only making her sicker, and now the only option left is to get her parents to donate."

Later that evening, Wade, Luna, and Lucy had a difficult discussion about Lucy's parents and why she left, but eventually, they decided to contact her bio parents to see if they could help.