Chapter - 36

Rhea

"I'm breaking up with Cameron tomorrow." I announce out of nowhere, staring at the lake infront of me as I bookmark the page of the book that I'm reading.

"What?" I can sense a confused look on his handsome face.

"Yeah." I don't say anything more but I know that he will want to get more information behind my sudden change of heart.

He nods, keeping his charcoal pencil down to pay full attention. "Okay. But why? I mean things have been good between you two, isn't it?" Then his eyes flare with anger as something pops in his mind. "Did he abuse you in any way, buttercup? If he did then I swear to God I will make him pay for his actions."

"No" I shake my head as I finally lock my eyes with him. "It's seems like a distance has come between us and call me a possessive girlfriend or what but I don't like how he flirts with other girls infront of me as if I mean nothing to him. So, I have decided to end this when I realised that I had it enough."

"Seems like a pretty slimy guy to me. And honestly? I always had bad vibes from him."

"Oh and he doesn't like that we are best friends and there were multiple times at the phase of this seven months of relationship where he told me to break off my friendship with you." I let out a humourless laugh. "Can you even believe it that he needs me to break off my friendship with you for his sake?" I shake my head. "I don't care if anyone stays by my side but I will never leave your side, Aiden. Never." I lay my head on his shoulder and there's a strange sense of happiness and calm surges through me whenever I'm around him.

"You know." He leans against the bench, wrapping his lean arms around my shoulder. "Infact Stassie and Gabriel demanded the same off me and the moment they asked me to do this." I shrug. "I immediately showed them the door because I don't give a fuck who thinks what about us but I'm not letting you go from me." He squeezes my hand, exhaling out a puff of air. "You're more than my best friend, buttercup and there is no way in hell I'm going away from you and-" He adjusts as he grips my shoulder, looking deep in my eyes and I'm scared if he reads my mind that I have developed some feelings for him and that mainly triggered me to take this decision of breaking off with Cameron. Then a wicked grin appears across his face, diffusing my anxiety instantly. "I can play my infamous pranks on him if you want me to." He quirks his eyebrow, expectantly.

My heart beat slows down and relief washes over me that he didn't pick up on my thoughts.

I shrug, smirking. "You can. I have no problem."

He flashes me a grin, making those dimples pop which I love the most after his eyes. "I knew it that you will never be opposed to this after what he did."

"You knew me so well."

He smirks, tugging at my braid lightly. "I know you better then you know yourself, buttercup." He proceeds to squish my cheek but I shove his shoulder hard and he dramatically clutches his shoulder as if he's in so much pain. I roll my eyes at him and soon we are laughing like two free spirited people without a care in the world.

"Sweetie!"

Suddenly, I jolt by my mom's voice and her shaking of my shoulders and when I take in my surroundings, I sigh thinking that I have once again drifted to the memories.

"Rhea! Where have you been lost in your mind?" She asks, her brows raised in question.

Mom's voice get me back to reality as I blink and compose myself as I stare at her in confusion. "Nothing. I think I just dozed off. Sorry."