Chapter 2: Nothing Like A Best Friend

Kyle went to hang out with Kalvin so that they could study; I called Kelly to see how her night was going. Kelly answered the phone with a shakey voice, I could tell she was trying not to cry. She had told me that something happend between her and her boyfriend, Lance Weatherly. At this point I was already bolting to my car. Nothing and nobody was going to stop me from getting to my best friend. When I pulled into Kelly's driveway, she was sitting on her porch in the dim light and pouring rain. As i walked closer i could tell she was still crying. I ran the rest of the way and thats when she told me what all happened. Lance called and broke up with her because he was seeing another girl. "What an asshole! You don't need him and frankly he doesn't deserve you!" I told her as I wrapped my arms around her. " Thanks for being here. If you wouldn't have shown up I'd probably be sitting on this porch by morning." She replied with a hiccup. "Of course I'm here. You should have known I would have beeen. I will always be here for you. How about we go to the mall and do a little bit of shopping to get your mind off of things?" "Sounds like a plan, you drive!" Shopping did the trick, she forgot all of her problems for the hour and half we were shopping. We got some super cute outfits and planned another trip to get dresses for the upcoming school dance. We always wanted to look good but for the dance we had to look drop dead beautiful. I told myself that I needed to protect Kelly. I thought that being romantic with Kyle while Kelly was around would hurt her so decided that I'd keep the public display of affection to a minimum. In my heart I hoped she would find someone who was her Kyle. She deserved nothing but the best. I didn't realize that it would happen so soon or happen with... Him...