Vol 1.5 Chapter 4: Love and Loss

.

.

.

Rimuru POV:

—------------------------------------------------------------

Recently Miss Yuki told me to make friends.

In my eyes her request (order) came out of nowhere and she was randomly throwing it onto me. I get the fact that I am a child of few words and that likely doesn't feel great to hear at parent-teacher conferences that the child she is taking care of is isolating himself.

I don't feel interest in interacting with children my age; maturity is an issue and I can't find things as fun as I used to. A cruel harsh reality made me wake from my childish perception and dreams.

I don't have the freedom to be treating life so casually and making friends like other kids. I also would feel guilty if my sorrows rubbed off onto those who are still young and impressionable.

I don't need friends.

I would be nothing but a poison to those I become friends with; a vile plague in the way of their positive development.

Besides, Todo is enough. At least with him I don't need to worry that my gloominess, depressing aura, and callous personality rub off and affect his growth.

He's headstrong and frankly full of himself, but at least this means we can get along since I don't have to fear for impacting him too heavily.

"Todo is like your brother Rimuru. He can't always be there for you. You need to make friends"

I was extremely wrong in thinking that Miss Yuki may agree with the way I see things. I thought my points on how my personality and the way I act could affect the other children was a good point– She was having none of that.

"What're you going to do to isolate yourself your whole life and act like a lone wolf edge lord? You're not an adult, don't think so deeply about things you don't know; it's creepy." Her words struck me like a knife. I wasn't trying to be an edgy character, I was genuinely concerned for what would be best for the kids and their development.

"I'm not some edge lord. I don't want to ruin another person's childish wonder with my perceptions and thoughts. You're keenly aware I'm not like normal kids and that isn't even mentioning cursed energy and cursed techniques. I'm a poison to-"

I couldn't even finish my sentence as Miss Yuki slapped me across the face. It wasn't by any means a hard slap; it was a statement effectively of her stance. The slap had no strength behind it but the meaning it had was there.

"You're a child; my-" She paused abruptly, unsure of if she wanted to finish what she was saying. I could assume what she was trying to say but my mind refused to believe it. A look of frustration filled her face for but a moment as I swore I was her eyes glisten more than normal; glistening like they were becoming wet.

I- I shook the thought from my head– I couldn't see Miss Yuki seeing me as her child or getting teary eyed in any way. It's not in her nature; I'm merely her student, and she is my guardian.

"It's annoying hearing the teacher say that 'My child' isolates themself from their classmates and refuses to make friends despite being approached by other children. I don't care how many friends you make but at least. Please-"

I couldn't believe a look of plea came across her face; she was pleading to me. I guess I didn't think of how embarrassing it would be for someone as strong as her to have to bow apologetically for the child she's raising, avoiding making friends.

"Please make at least 1 friend, at least for the remainder of your years in primary school. Todo doesn't count; remember that. I don't expect you to change. I know that change is gradual but I refuse to let you remain stagnant and stationary." She paused before kneeling down looking me dead in the eyes, her gaze and tone serious.