4

The pulsating bass throbbed through Neel's veins as he stepped into the exclusive VIP section of the club

The pulsating bass throbbed through Neel's veins as he stepped into the exclusive VIP section of the club. The air was thick with the scent of expensive perfume and the promise of a night of unrestrained revelry. Clad in a designer suit that screamed wealth and power, Neel stood out like a beacon amidst the sea of casual chic.

Ishaan, his long-time friend and confidante, spotted him immediately and waved him over. Ishaan, a free spirit with a penchant for spontaneity, was the exact opposite of Neel, yet their bond was unbreakable.

“You look like you just stepped out of a boardroom, man,” Ishaan chuckled, gesturing to Neel’s attire.

Neel forced a laugh. "Can't help it. Dad’s got me on a tight leash."

They moved towards the bar, the rhythmic beats of the music gradually seeping into Neel’s consciousness. The world outside, the expectations, the suffocating pressure, seemed to fade away with every sip of his drink.

“So, the big question,” Ishaan began, leaning in, “regular college or the usual ‘I'm too busy saving the company’ crap?”

Neel managed a wry smile. “Believe it or not, I convinced them to let me attend college regularly. Uncle Raj was a huge help.”

Ishaan’s eyes widened in surprise. “No way! You’re finally breaking free? Good for you, man!”

A flicker of something akin to hope ignited in Neel’s chest. Maybe, just maybe, there was a chance to reclaim the life he had once envisioned.

“So,” Ishaan continued, his eyes gleaming with mischief, “now that you’ve got some free time, what do you say we hit up the music club next week? Dance battle?”

Neel hesitated. The thought of losing himself in the rhythm, of expressing himself without inhibitions, was intoxicating. But the reality of his situation quickly sobered him.

“I don’t know, Ishaan,” he replied, his voice laced with regret. “I can’t just disappear like that.”

Ishaan placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Hey, I get it. But you know, life’s too short to be stuck in a rut. We can figure something out. Just promise me you’ll at least consider it.”

Neel nodded, a bittersweet smile playing on his lips. As he watched the crowd sway to the music, he couldn’t help but feel a pang of longing. He was trapped in a gilded cage of his own making, and the key to freedom seemed further away than ever.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Malang woke up with a start, his phone buzzing in his hand. It was his mother, her voice filled with concern and love as she inquired about his well-being. Reassured by his cheerful response, she hung up, a warm smile gracing Malang's face.

Freshly showered and dressed, he emerged from his room to find Netra's father, Sanjay, sitting on the sofa, reading a newspaper. Malang greeted him respectfully.

Sanjay looked up, his stern face softening into a smile. "Ah, Malang beta, you're awake. Did you rest well?"

Malang nodded, "Ji uncle, I slept very well."

Sanjay smiled approvingly. "Good, good. You must be hungry. Dinner will be ready soon."

Sanjay, intrigued by the young man's quiet demeanor, began asking about life in Dehradun.

Sanjay uncle listened intently as Malang spoke about his life in Dehradun, his eyes filled with a gentle curiosity. "So, you want to be a photographer, huh? That's a wonderful dream, Malang beta. You've got a good eye, I can tell."

Malang, feeling a warmth he hadn't experienced in a long time, opened up about his days spent exploring the hills, the joy of capturing nature's beauty through his camera lens, and the quiet contentment of his small-town life. As he spoke, his eyes held a distant dreaminess, and his voice was filled with both hope and uncertainty.
.
.
.
.
Later that evening, Netra dragged Malang out for a round of golgappas, a favorite pastime of theirs from their childhood days in Dehradun. The familiar taste of the spicy water and the crunchy puris transported them back to simpler times.

 The familiar taste of the spicy water and the crunchy puris transported them back to simpler times

Walking back home, Malang was lost in thought. "What if my plan doesn't work out?" he murmured, his voice barely audible.

Netra squeezed his hand reassuringly. "Relax, Mahi. Everything will be perfect. You know, Mumbai is called the city of dreams for a reason. Sapno ka sheher yaha sab apna sapna pura karne aate hain. Aur yeh sheher har kisi ko apnata hai. Bharosa rakho Mahi, tumhara bhi sapna jaroor pura hoga." (Everyone comes here to fulfill their dreams, and the city embraces everyone. Trust me, Mahi, your dream will come true too.)

______________________________________