Chapter 10 : UNDER THE RAIN DROPS

The library doors whooshed shut behind them, the dying embers of the afternoon sun casting long, melancholic shadows across the schoolyard. As they ambled towards the gate, Ezra casually mentioned, "Hey, I could drop you off if you want." His voice was a low rumble, sending a shiver down Mateo's spine.

Mateo's breath hitched. The offer hung in the air, heavy with unspoken desire. He stole a glance at Ezra, catching the glint of something new in his hazel eyes – a warmth that made his own stomach flutter. But his usual defiance rose to the surface. "Absolutely not," he snapped, his voice betraying a touch of breathlessness. He couldn't explain the sudden yearning to be closer to Ezra, the unsettling mix of comfort and excitement it brought.

Ezra sighed, a flicker of disappointment crossing his features that tugged at Mateo's heart. He unlocked his sleek silver car, the polished surface gleaming like a promise in the fading light. "Suit yourself," he said, a hint of resignation lacing his tone. The words sounded almost regretful, and Mateo felt a pang of something akin to loss.

He offered a curt nod, the defiance in his posture a flimsy shield against the storm brewing within him. He stepped onto the sidewalk, the distance between them growing with each deliberate stride. Just as Ezra pulled out of the parking lot, a fat raindrop splattered on the windshield, quickly followed by a torrent that seemed to erupt from the heavens.

"What the heck?" Mateo muttered, glancing skyward. The previously clear blue canvas had been replaced by an angry charcoal grey, the weather forecast a fickle traitor. He cursed under his breath and sprinted towards the nearest bus stop shelter, his heart hammering a frantic tattoo against his ribs.

Thirty drenched seconds later, he reached the shelter, the thin metal roof offering meager protection. He huddled beneath it, rain cascading down his face, each drop a tiny explosion of icy terror. Just as despair threatened to consume him, a car pulled up beside him. A familiar figure rolled down the window, a hint of amusement dancing in the now rain-washed hazel eyes.

"Mateo?" It was Ezra, but there was something different in his voice, softer, more concerned. The sound sent a warmth blooming in Mateo's chest, a stark contrast to the chilling rain.

Mateo gaped at him, his breath catching in his throat. "What do you want?" he finally managed, his voice rough and choked with a sudden rush of emotions. The sudden downpour mirrored the turmoil within him, a storm he couldn't control.

Ezra chuckled, the sound like warm honey drizzled over his anxieties. "Hop in before you turn into a drowned rat. You'll catch a cold for sure." His gaze held a tenderness that made Mateo's knees weak.

Mateo hesitated. His clothes clung to him like a second skin, a damp reminder of his misery. But the warmth in Ezra's eyes offered a different kind of comfort, a promise of refuge from the storm outside and the one raging within. He reluctantly opened the door and slid into the passenger seat, the rich leather interior a stark contrast to the damp reality clinging to him. The scent of Ezra's cologne, a mix of citrus and spice, filled his senses, further muddling his already confused mind.

"Don't worry about your clothes," Ezra said, his voice a low murmur, sending shivers down Mateo's spine. "I've got towels at home." His gaze lingered on Mateo for a beat too long, a hint of something unreadable flickering in its depths.

A flicker of surprise crossed Mateo's face, quickly masked by a stoic expression. A ghost of a smile played on his lips, a silent thank you he couldn't bring himself to voice. His heart pounded a frantic rhythm against his ribs, a counterpoint to the rhythmic drumming of the rain on the roof.

The frustration in the car was thicker than the rain outside. Traffic had crawled to a standstill, the rhythmic drumming on the roof a monotonous counterpoint to the tense silence within. Ezra stole a glance at Mateo, his initial amusement fading with each passing minute.

"Man, that weather change was crazy, right?" Ezra started, hoping to break the ice. "Traffic's going to be a nightmare at this rate."

Mateo remained a silent statue, his eyes fixed on some invisible point in the downpour. Ezra tried again, his voice laced with a hint of concern. "Hey, where do you live anyway?"

Still no response. Ezra cleared his throat, the sound echoing in the confined space. Had he said something wrong? Maybe his offer of a ride had been a mistake. He was about to apologize when a movement caught his eye.

Mateo's head had lolled to the side, his damp hair plastered to his forehead. Sleep, the great equalizer, had finally claimed him despite the awkward car seat. A soft smile tugged at Ezra's lips as he watched the tension drain from Mateo's face, replaced by a peaceful vulnerability.

Without thinking, Ezra reached out and gently adjusted the seat, offering a more comfortable incline for the sleeping boy. The car lurched slightly, and Mateo stirred, his eyelids fluttering open for a brief moment before falling shut again.

The sight of Mateo so unguarded sparked a strange protectiveness in Ezra. He found himself leaning closer, his gaze lingering on the boy's features. An impulse, a curious mix of tenderness and something more daring, took hold. He brushed a stray strand of hair off Mateo's cheek, the cool dampness sending a shiver down his spine.

His fingers lingered for a moment too long, a silent question hanging in the air. He brushed his thumb over the corner of Mateo's lips, the touch sending a jolt through him. It was a fleeting contact, barely a whisper, yet it felt impossibly intimate.

He quickly retracted his hand, his heart hammering a frantic rhythm against his ribs. A blush crept up his neck as he realized the audacity of his actions. What had possessed him?

Mateo stirred again, his eyes fluttering open for a brief moment. They met Ezra's gaze for a fleeting moment, a mixture of confusion and something akin to surprise swirling within them. Before Ezra could even stammer an apology, sleep fully claimed Mateo, his breathing falling into a soft rhythm.

Ezra, filled with a strange mix of nervousness and exhilaration, leaned back in his seat. His gaze lingered on Mateo's peaceful face, a silent echo of the whispered words hanging in the air: "You have a beautiful personality, even though you keep people away from you. I don't know what's going on with you, Mateo, but I'm glad I met you. You are more than enough." As the rain continued its relentless assault outside, a new kind of storm brewed within Ezra, a storm fueled by curiosity and a newfound attraction to the enigma that was Mateo.