Chapter 13

From afar came the sounds of fighting. As they delved deeper, the clashes grew louder. Lan Fei'er recognized familiar faces from the Wen family among the combatants, joining in to kill the attackers who had launched a night raid. The group continued deeper into the territory.

Something wasn't right.

Despite the heat of battle, Lan Fei'er sensed it keenly.

Why were so many disciples unaffected by the Soul-Devouring Flower?

She gradually realized that the ground was littered with the bodies of invaders, yet all around her were Wen disciples, fiercely aggressive but showing no signs of anything beyond physical wounds. Lan Fei'er's unease reached its peak.

What was meant to be a massacre of the Wen family had turned out to be something else.

She and her fellow disciples reached the depths of the mansion to find Wen Ran cutting down several intruders. He tore off their veils to reveal they were Lin family bastards.

Wen's father stood unharmed under the eaves, not a trace of panic from the sudden attack visible on his face.

Wen Ran wielded his sword, his usually delicate demeanor transformed into that of a bloodthirsty deity. He loudly proclaimed to the Wen disciples present, "The Lin family disregarded righteousness with their midnight ambush. Their hearts deserve death!"

Those who had nearly lost their lives in the surprise attack were now filled with a fierce resolve, echoing, "The Lin family's hearts deserve death!"

Suddenly, a sharp, prolonged howl pierced the night sky. Looking up, they saw a fierce bird descending from above, its large eyes gleaming sharply.

Receiving a signal from Sheng Baihe, Wen Ran shifted his gaze away from the bird towards the direction of Lin residence. "Some will stay behind; the rest will come with me to demand justice from the Lin family."

The Lin family dared to play foul; this matter could not end well!

Without hesitation, everyone sheathed their swords and followed Wen Ran.

Under the moonlight, bodies littered the surroundings, a scene different from what Lan Fei'er had read in books. Anxiety gripped her heart; she didn't understand why so many disciples were unaffected by the Soul-Devouring Flower, instead turning on the Lin family disciples. With each new twist, she lost a bit more of her assurance—her greatest reliance was her knowledge of how the plot should unfold.

Suppressing her unease, she turned and joined the larger group heading to confront the Lin family.

Hundreds of shadows flew swiftly over Ancheng's sky, the atmosphere solemn and tense.

They flew directly towards the main gate of Lin Family. Wen Ran raised his hand in a signal; beside him, a disciple cracked a whip with steel cables, its tremendous force smashing into Lin family's gate, which collapsed with a resounding crash.

Wen Ran and his disciples landed from the rooftops, charging through the fallen gate of Lin Family.

They met frightened Lin family disciples guarding the gate. Without a word, Wen Ran swung his sword, cutting them down abruptly. The cries of alarm ceased abruptly, leaving only bloodstains on his sword—a sight that neither he nor the other Wen disciples seemed to care about.

Without further inquiry or explanation, Wen Ran led them on a path of instant execution for anyone they encountered, the air filled only with the sounds of desperate fighting.

Soon, this battle turned into a unilateral slaughter.

Under the clear moonlight, the ground was littered with corpses, and Lin Residence was enveloped in a sinister and fierce atmosphere, heavy and suffocating, a scene beyond tragic.