Chapter 19

A shadow ghosted through the night sky.

Under the cover of darkness, the two figures walking exchanged a glance, holding their breath. Wen Wuning said softly, "You go back first."

With that, she leaped to follow the shadow.

Silently landing on the rooftop, another figure appeared beside her without a sound. Wen Wuning turned to look and noticed her junior sister's eyes shining brightly in the night.

Suddenly, she remembered how her junior sister had sheltered her alone in the interstitial space for two days. In just a few months, she had almost forgotten about this junior sister, who displayed a decisiveness and sophistication beyond her years.

Without saying much, Wen Wuning silently agreed with Lan Fei'er.

Under the cover of night, they trailed the shadow ahead from a distance.

After leaving the Wen family mansion, the shadow headed south, and they realized it was heading towards the Lin family's residence.

The ruins of the Lin family mansion were just ahead. Just when they thought the shadow was about to enter, it abruptly changed direction. Startled, they halted, fearing they had been spotted. Lan Fei'er hesitated to retreat, but Wen Wuning did not.

She was actually unwilling to give up. She discussed with Wen Wuning about continuing to follow, but maintaining a safer distance this time, ready to escape immediately if something went wrong instead of confronting head-on.

Jokingly, she was just a supporting character; if there was a direct confrontation, the female lead could handle it, while she, a mere extra, would likely be cannon fodder.

Finally, the shadow entered an ordinary courtyard.

They decided to wait outside until the shadow left before investigating what was inside.

However, they waited for nearly half an hour and the shadow did not emerge.

They quietly climbed into the yard, where only one room was illuminated.

The thin paper window could not block the heavy breathing inside the room. Just as they touched the window ledge, both froze.

Lan Fei'er was speechless. She and Wen Wuning had already guessed that the shadow was likely Sheng Baihe.

In the dead of night, she had guessed that Sheng Baihe might be meeting a lover, but she hadn't expected this wild speculation to be true.

Both were inexperienced young ladies, but Lan Fei'er, having seen her fair share of storms, managed to keep calm. She wondered how Wen Wuning would react.

She turned to look at Wen Wuning. In the light that leaked from the window, Wen Wuning's face did blush momentarily, with a flicker of surprise in her expression, then returned to normal, albeit somewhat uncomfortable, without any other reaction, such as the anger of catching someone in the act.

Wen Wuning was already uneasy, and her junior sister kept staring at her. She raised her hand to turn her face away and discreetly stood up to inspect the situation inside the room.

This action was subconscious. By the time she realized it, she was already committed and had to nervously approach to peek inside.

Her reaction amused Lan Fei'er, considering even elementary school students in her world weren't as innocent as Wen Wuning.

Wen Wuning watched the surprised expression suddenly appear inside the room, and Lan Fei'er didn't know what she had seen. She raised her head to take a look as well.