Chapter 23

In the latter part of the night, the door of one of the three rooms quietly opened, and a figure emerged from inside.

Walking through the pitch-black house, Wen Wuning always felt like something was staring at her from the darkness.

When she arrived at the hot spring, she found that all the lights here were also extinguished. Using her sword, she gently lifted the light gauze and walked in.

She walked a bit further inside before she put away her sword and began to undress.

Just as her hand was about to undo her belt, as if by a gust of wind, the light gauze at the entrance was lifted. She waited quietly for a while. It seemed to be just the wind and nothing else, but being cautious, she still took out a small item.

It was a small delicate golden bell. She tossed the bell onto the water's surface, and the small bell immediately turned into dozens of bells connected by golden threads, flying away and disappearing.

A slight breeze stirred the grass, and it appeared and disappeared again, emitting a faint hum.

After doing all this, Wen Wuning finally undressed and entered the water.

After several days of traveling, soaking in the hot spring at this moment made her whole body pleasantly relaxed but also sleepy.

Just as Wen Wuning was drifting off, she suddenly woke up. Everything around her was quiet, but she heard the sound of bells. She turned her head and saw a tall, slender figure on the shore.

"Who's there?!"

It was a tall, thin woman holding a lantern. Her face was pale, with finely arched eyebrows, lips as red as blood, long black silk-like hair, and red smudges at the corners of her eyes, giving her a ghostly and eerie appearance. She wore a water-blue dress that fluttered in the wind around her tall, slender figure.

"Why is the guest not sleeping at night?"

Her soft voice seemed to come from a distant place, giving a surreal feeling.

Wen Wuning was stunned for two seconds. In that brief moment, the woman, in a strange posture, brought her face close: "This servant is here to attend to the guest's bath."

A strange fragrance wafted, but Wen Wuning coldly refused, moving aside as the woman attempted to enter the water, insisting on wiping Wen Wuning's hand.

By the faint candlelight, Wen Wuning observed the woman's expressionless face. Despite her eerie demeanor, Wen Wuning couldn't discern anything unusual except for her hands, which didn't seem quite feminine.

Glancing down at the hand grasping her, Wen Wuning noticed its unusual size and thinness.

"Are you the owner of this house?"

"Do I look like it to the guest?"

Wen Wuning firmly held onto the hand that moved toward her chest and asked sternly, "Why did you go out at night?"

She recalled the servant who had guided them saying that no one was allowed to go out after the lights were extinguished. This rule was presumably set by the owner of the house, so besides her, an outsider who hadn't paid attention to this rule, the only other possibility was the owner of the house.

The woman tried to withdraw her hand but was tightly held by Wen Wuning, causing her to fall into Wen Wuning's arms.

This tall, slender woman was larger than Wen Wuning and pressed against her like a wall.

Wen Wuning was momentarily confused. She hurriedly raised her hands to support the woman, finding her shoulders hard and uncomfortable to touch.

"You're so gentle, guest."