Chapter 36

Li Hai and Wen Wuning are two completely opposite women. One is upright and aloof, while the other is seductive and proactive.

The author, being thoughtful as ever, initially paired Sheng Baihe with the restrained and virtuous Wen Wuning, a match seemingly perfect in talent and appearance. However, such a pairing, viewed over time, inevitably becomes dull. To cater to both the protagonist's desires and the broader readership, the author swiftly replaced the distasteful and lascivious tree fairy flower with the demon Li Hai, a beautiful and passionate woman who fearlessly courts the male lead's cold indifference.

One cold, one hot, embracing from both sides, how delightful it must be.

That's how it's written in the book.

But in reality, Sheng Baihe has been left empty-handed. He lies alone on a cold, hard wooden bed.

Sheng Baihe has cursed the author and the heavens countless times in his mind.

From his observations since waking up, Li Hai does not show the same fervent affection or obsessive interest towards him as in her previous life. Her occasional glances at him are either probing or appraising, devoid of any hint of flirtation.

Her gaze treats him merely as a potential filter for demonic energy.

Li Hai acts according to her likes and dislikes, following her own whims. From his perspective, if it's not love, someone like him, a righteous person, would likely provoke nothing but disdain from her.

It seems this beauty might also reject him.

Sheng Baihe curses the heavens and the author tens of millions of times in his heart again.

He coughs up some blood and warns himself not to get agitated.

Although Li Hai may not harbor favorable feelings towards him, his upright character must not falter. Well-versed in various novels, he knows that a person without principles, who fears death and clings to life, is the most repugnant and often meets the quickest demise.

As long as he maintains his character, there might still be a glimmer of hope.

As for filtering demonic energy, because their encounter in the book occurs three years later, Sheng Baihe is unsure what Li Hai means by that now. He only knows that three years later, Li Hai will replace the sealed and suppressed Demon Lord Li Yuan to take over the Demon Realm, but will be targeted by several elders with dissent in the Demon Realm. Though she may not yet have sufficient power, whether this relates to her current talk of filtering demonic energy remains uncertain.

However, none of this is his concern. His top priority now is to heal his injuries. Feeling constrained by others is truly suffocating.

Sheng Baihe turns his head to look at the three-dimensional map below the window. He knows about Li Hai's artifact, called the Dungeon. Li Hai can manipulate it as she pleases, turning day into night, moving mountains and seas, summoning winds and rain. Once inside the Dungeon, unless Li Hai releases someone, it's difficult to escape.

There's only one way out: realizing that the world they are in isn't the real world. But that's hard, because everything inside is just like reality, not an illusion.

After all, who would generally suspect that the world they inhabit is fake?

Contemplating this, Sheng Baihe momentarily fell into confusion. Could it be possible that everything he's experiencing now is unreal? Is there perhaps a pair of eyes beyond the sky watching his miserable state?

"Damn it to hell!..."

With no one around, Sheng Baihe finally couldn't uphold his persona any longer. Blushing furiously, he cursed the entire family lineage of the heavens and ancestors to the eighteenth generation.