Under the Lights of the Night Market

The Night Market arrived, transforming the beach into a bustling hub of activity. The colorful lights and the sound of waves created an enchanting atmosphere. The sea breeze carried the scent of salt and exotic foods as people milled about, admiring the various stalls and attractions.

I looked around, trying to find Elliott and Leah. After a few seconds, I spotted Elliott first, standing near the submarine tour booth, his eyes fixed on the horizon.

—Elliott! — I called out, waving as I approached. He turned, a warm smile spreading across his face.

—Ah, there you are — he said —. I was hoping to run into you. The Night Market is quite the spectacle, isn't it?

—Definitely — I replied, glancing around at the vibrant scene —. Have you seen Leah?

—She's over by the mermaid boat, working on a new piece of art — Elliott said, pointing towards the dock.

—Nice... — I mumbled, looking in the direction he pointed.

I was glad she was over there and not here; I would rather get the pearl without her knowing about it so she doesn't suspect anything. I felt Elliott looking at me, a bit confused by my words.

—Don't think wrong; I want to fish for a pearl here in the submarine to give her a necklace for her birthday.

—A pearl? I can see that no one has loved me before.

—Well...yes, it's not that hard to see, Elliott — I joked and laughed when he rolled his eyes, earning a playful hit on my head from him.

—You're lucky that we're friends. If you want it that way, I can help distract Leah — he offered with a grin.

—Thanks, Elliott. That would be a huge help.

After thanking him, he walked away, and I entered the submarine, greeted by the captain, who told me that the deep-sea fishing tour would cost one thousand gold.

After paying the fee, I took my rod and stood by the trapdoor in the floor, waiting for it to open.

The submarine descended into the depths of the ocean, and I stared through the window in awe at the underwater scenery. Bioluminescent creatures glowed in the dark, and schools of fish swam by.

After a long few minutes, the trapdoor opened, and I started fishing, hoping for luck.

Minutes turned into hours, and I caught various fish and treasures, but no pearls. Feeling frustrated and mad about it, I gave it one last try before the submarine ride ended.

After a few minutes, I felt a tug on my line, stronger than any I had felt before. With a mixture of hope and concentration, I reeled in my catch, only to let a frustrated sigh escape me.

It was an octopus—another one. The captain said that the submarine was going to close, and we began to return to the surface. Maybe I'll have more luck tomorrow.

At least I have a lot of fish to sell to Willy. After another thirty minutes, we were finally back on the surface. I thanked the captain and went back to the beach.

I made my way through the crowd, looking for Elliott and Leah, the glow of lanterns reflecting off the water. I found them by the mermaid boat, Elliott helping Leah save all her materials and tools. She looked up as I approached, her face lighting up with a smile.

—Hey! I was wondering when I'd see you — she said, brushing a stray lock of hair from her face —. Where have you been? It's almost midnight.

—I thought you weren't even here — Elliott said with a smirk, playing the fool to help me.