Chapter 14

The events of the day had left me feeling bewildered and uneasy. How did they know about us? Sinabi ba ni Jiro? Or may nakakita ba sa amin that night at sinabi sa buong team? Hindi naman siguro ano.

As night fell, the questions still swirled in my mind, refusing to let me rest. Just as I was beginning to feel overwhelmed, my phone rang.

It was my mom. She turned on the back camera, letting me see what she was doing, nag tutupi siya ng mga damit niya at inilagay ito sa isang maleta.

"Where were you going?" I asked sa mahinang boses. Natutulog na ang tatlo dala sa pagod kanina. I couldn't sleep, there's something bothering me.

"Elise, we need to go to Canada for your dad's campaign. Your sister and her kids are coming with us. Your dad wants to spend his time with his apo," she said, her tone is full of excitement.

"Talaga? Buti naman kung ganoon." Hindi naitago ang pait sa boses ko.

"How are you there anak?" She ask. "Your Aunt and your cousin Yuvary was here last day, kinamusta ka nila. They thought naka uwi kana."

Mabuti pa nga sila tita at nagawang kumustahin ako. E si dad kaya? Wala rin namang pake kung ano na ang na ang nangyarri sa buhay ko.

Pangalawang beses ko palang silang naabutang bumisita diyan sa bahay, pangatlo ngayon. Bukod sa malayo ang bahay nila Auntie hindi din sila close ni daddy para mag bisitahan. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang dahilan kung bakit sila hindi close ni daddy. Never ko din silang nakitang nag uusap.

"I'll message nalang sila. Bye muna mom, matutulog na ako, anong oras na dito."

"Okay okay anak! I love you."

I just smiled and turned it off.

And I just realized that this is the first time I'd ever traveled out of the country. Normally, whenever my parents took vacations, my dad insisted I stay behind, leaving me alone in the mansion. Tapos sila ate at kuya ang lang ang makakasama. Those times were when I'd sneak out to the bar, desperate for some fun and company.

Later that night, as I lay in bed, my phone buzzed with a message from an unknown number.

Unknown#:
Good evening, did you rest well?

My heart skipped a beat—I knew it was Jiro.

I didn't reply. Instead, I got up quietly and slipped outside to the balcony, making sure not to wake the three. The night air was cool against my skin as I pressed the videocall button.

Jiro answered almost immediately, his face appearing on the screen, his expression filled with worry. I can see the background in where he was. A room with white paint on it.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle but urgent.

"Nothing," I said, my voice catching slightly. I angled the camera away from my face, down towards my chest as I walked towards the railing. I was wearing a blue spaghetti dress, the fabric soft and flowing around me.

Jiro's breath hitched slightly. "Are you wearing a dress?" he asked, his voice low and breathless.

"Hmm," I nodded, feeling a strange mix of vulnerability and thrill. The night was quiet around me, the city lights twinkling in the distance.

The screen lit up with Jiro's face, his appearance striking in a military shirt and pants. His hair was slicked back with gel, giving him a sharp, commanding presence. Even through the screen, I could almost catch a whiff of his familiar scent, a mix of fresh cologne and something distinctly him.

"Why did you leave so suddenly?" I asked, unable to hide the hurt in my voice.

"It was urgent," Jiro explained, his gaze steady. "My team called me earlier. I couldn't say goodbye to you because you were sleeping peacefully. I didn't want to wake you." He licked his lips nervously, a habit I'd noticed before.