2. The Stranger

After Caroline and I had finished with my room and just sat for a while visiting, Caroline announced that it was time to go to The Mystic Grill so I could meet all her friends for the first time. While my cousin changed into a dress, I just changed into a clean tank top and pulled my hair down from the ponytail it had been in.

   “Beth, that’s probably a little casual,” Caroline assessed, albeit not meanly.

  “I like this shirt,” I frowned, pretending I was offended by her comment. In actuality, I was used to Caroline’s criticism.

  She held her hands up in joking defeat, but handed me a pair of earrings. Sighing, I put them on. Sometimes there was just no arguing with Caroline.

  Once we both were ready, we got into Caroline’s Sunfire and pulled away from the little house.

  “I hope you’ll like everyone,” Caroline said as we drove downtown, “They’ve heard lots about you already from me.”

  “Really?” I laughed sarcastically.

  “It was all compliments, don’t worry,” she grinned in response.

  We pulled into a parking spot right in front of the small restaurant. Even though I knew everything would be fine, I was getting a little nervous; I wasn’t very good with big groups of people.

  “They’re going to love you,” Caroline reassured me as she pushed open the heavy doors for us.

  We walked in to the surprisingly busy place, surrounded by people who were mostly our age. I was at a loss of where to go, but Caroline led me right up to a table of people.

  “Hi, guys! This is Bethany,” she announced.

  “Call me Beth,” I added, biting my lip.

  “The famous Beth!” a small African-American girl with a big smile and long black hair exclaimed, “Caroline hasn’t shut up about you.”

  “We probably know everything about you by now,” a guy with blond hair and blonde eyes nodded at me.

  “Guys, don’t overwhelm her,” a beautiful girl with long, straight dark brown hair and brown eyes scolded them, then turned to me and introduced herself, “I’m Elena Gilbert.”

  “I’m Matt Donovan,” the guy said.

  “Bonnie Bennett,” the small girl smiled.

  “Tyler Lockwood,” another guy appeared. He obviously thought he was God’s gift to mankind, with short black hair and dark eyes, but his words and his actions gave away that he was kind of an ass. Also, every time Caroline mentioned Tyler, she was complaining about him.

  “Nice to meet you,” I smiled at them all.

  “So, Caroline tells us you’re starting school here in the fall,” Elena said.

  “I sure am,” I replied.

  “It’ll be nice to see some new faces,” Bonnie admitted, “Our class has been all the same people for ages.”

  “So we’re too boring for you?” Matt chuckled.

  “Never,” Bonnie laughed dryly.

  “Hey, who’s all coming to the party this weekend?” Caroline wanted to know.

  She was met by a chorus of “I am”, and she grinned at the news; Caroline was a lot more into that kind of thing than I was.

  “There’s a party at Tyler’s on Saturday,” Elena explained quietly to me as I shifted into a seat in between her and Bonnie, “I don’t think that’s my thing anymore, but-”

  “She’s coming, and she’s going to realize what she was missing by moping around all summer, hanging out in graveyards,” Caroline spoke up, overhearing us. Elena flushed a deep pink and looked down at her lap.

  “Wow, Care,” Matt said, “Tactless.”

   “I’m sorry, Elena!” Caroline apologized, “But God, just because your parents died doesn’t mean you get to just dump your friends!”

  “Your parents died?” I turned to Elena.

  “Yeah,” Elena spoke softly, still looking at her lap.

  “I’m sorry,” I told her, meaning it.

  “You really mean that,” she looked up at me. It wasn’t a question.

  “I had something similar happen,” I admitted.

  “Oh, how could I forget? Caroline’s aunt and uncle! Now I feel stupid,” Elena hit herself on the head lightly.

  “Don’t worry about it,” I reassured her.

  Soon, plans for the weekend came about, and I fit seamlessly into the conversation as the group happily included me. After a while, people began to wander off, and Caroline pulled me to the corner.

  “Is it alright if I leave you here?” she asked tentatively, “Jake wanted to take off.”

  She was referring to her boyfriend, whom I hadn’t met that night.

  “Sure, no problem,” I agreed.

  “Sure?” she checked.

  “Mm-hmm,” I replied.

  “Thanks! I owe you big time!” Caroline beamed and gave me a hug before running out the door.

  Glancing at my phone, I realized it was nine o’clock already. After saying a quick goodbye to the rest of the group, I grabbed my jacket and starting walking home.

  I’d visited Mystic Falls a lot in my life, but somehow I got a little lost on my way. Somehow I ended up on a dirt path, and I wasn’t sure if I was even in town anymore. Quickly, I dug my phone back out of my purse and tried to call Caroline, but of course there was no signal. Sighing, I looked around, trying to figure out on my own where I was. Then, a voice behind me startled me, making me jump and drop my purse.

  “A bit lost, are we?” a British man’s amused voice asked.

~AUTHOR'S NOTE: Cliffhanger! ;) Do you know who it is?~