Chapter 1

Hot shot is five years old he is very playful and active. He lives with his father Heatwave and his mother Quickshadow. They all live in Dallas Texas. They live a very happy and normal life there and things are going well.

Heatwave is a firefighter. He is very brave and strong. He has helped save many lives, he has responded to many kinds of emergencies. So he is calm and cool in a crisis. He has the respect of his fellow firefighters and first responders. He taught Hot shot all about fire safety since he was very small. He also taught Hot shot how and when to dial 911. Hot shot was very clever and understood. That made Heatwave very proud that Hot shot was learning to do that quickly. Heatwave is a very loving, strong, caring and loyal husband and father. He loves Quickshadow and Hot shot very much.

Quickshadow is a pediatric oncologist. She works at Children's Medical Center Dallas. She helps many children fight their cancer and recover. She is glad to help these kids find the strength to fight their cancer and get better. She is very good at her job. She does fear that one day it might be her child who has cancer. She knew that cancer can strike at any time and doesn't care who it strikes or when it does. Her co-workers could understand her fears and comforted her. Quickshadow is a very loving, caring, honest, and devoted wife and mother. She loves Heatwave and Hot shot with all of her heart.

Hot shot is a very playful and active little five year old boy. He loves to run, jump, climb and play. He loves to have a lot of fun. He loves to be on the move, and he loves sports. Hot shot's favorite color is yellow, and his favorite animal is a rhino. Hot shot's favorite dinner is fish and chips, his favorite cookie is peanut butter, and his favorite ice cream is cookie dough. Hot shot's favorite sports are baseball, soccer and basketball. Hot shot loves to go outside and play. Hot shot loves to be active and exercise. Hot shot loves to go places like the zoo and mall. Hot shot is able to enjoy himself easily and have a lot of fun. Hot shot is a very good, sweet, honest and generous little boy with a big heart.

Hot shot has always been very healthy. Hot shot sometimes gets colds, tummy aches or fevers, but he gets over those pretty quickly. He gets quite a few bumps, cuts, scrapes and bruises which is normal for an active child. Hot shot also never has had a visit to the ER and has only needed to see his doctor for wellness check ups. Hot shot has been a perfectly healthy little boy. They made his parents very happy about that.

However things were soon going to change. Hot shot noticed his left ankle was hurting, but he thought it was due to bumping it against the bed post last night so he didn't think anything of it.

Hot shot had his breakfast and went outside to play. Hot shot was having a lot of fun outside. Once it was time for lunch Hot shot came back inside. Hot shot noticed his ankle was hurting a lot more. "Mummy my ankle hurts," Hot shot said. "it has been hurting since I woke up," he said.

"Don't worry a little children's Tylenol should be able to help," Quickshadow told him. Then she poured out the right dose and gave him the medicine. "There you go this should be able to help." she said. 

"Thanks mummy," Hot shot said and took the medicine. Hot shot hoped it would make his leg stop hurting. 

Hot shot leg was still hurting after bed time that night and made it hard for Hot shot to sleep. Then when Hot shot woke up the next morning he felt all hot and sweaty. He came out of his room that very morning. "Mummy I don't feel so good," Hot shot said.

Quickshadow felt his forehead. "Oh poppet you feel hot to the touch," Quickshadow said. "I better take your temperature," she said. She grabbed a thermometer and stuck it inside Hot shot's ear. Then she pressed a button and then it beeped. Then she looked at it. "101.2 you have a fever," she said. "Go lay down on the couch," she told him.