Chapter 3: An Attempt to Ponder

I drag myself off the bus, toward home. I'm going to do something a little different today. I plan on sitting in one spot, and creating a list about the possible reasons why I'm being treated like this.

Once I get to my destination, Mom stops me at the door. "Mom," I say, "You're home early."

"That's right young lady, and you have a lot of chores to do." She handed me a list.

"But-"

"No buts. Do your homework first, then get to these chores. Your father is taking us out for dinner as a celebration. I have big news."

"Ok." Well there go my plans. Maybe I can still get to them if I just hurry. I run upstairs.

•The Hidden Doors•

I sat down at my desk. Homework, check. Chores, check. List, pending.

"Jessica, honey!" Mom's loving yet loud voice travels up the stairs and to my bedroom door. "Your father will be here in a half hour so be ready."

"Ok, Mom." I usually take a while to get ready so I'll start now. "Do I wear something fancy or are we just going to iHop?"

"Wear something fancy. Not your cousin's idea of fancy." She says with a wave of her finger.

I give a slight chuckle. Oh, Jake. Last year, Jake visited and we expected to meet him around 6 at the diner in proper clothing, but he thought proper meant fancy and fancy meant unique. He wore something quite unique all right. He showed up in a cowboy outfit with a lasso. "Yee-hah," was what he said when he saw us. You can tell he's not too bright.

I quickly pick out my High-Low dress. It was my favorite dress of all time. White on the top and bright pink on the bottom with a golden belt where the two colors intersect. I put on a pair of golden heels to match the belt. I go to my dresser. Jewelry and makeup time, my favorite. I put on a simple silver necklace with a flower and my favorite Michael Kors watch.

After a little mascara, eyeliner, and lipgloss, I straightened my hair in a hurry. There, I thought. All done.

I sat back down at my desk, a blank piece of paper mocking me. My pencil felt slippery in my hand as I created my list:

1. I look weird.
2. I'm new and everyone already made their groups.
3.

Hmmm... why else would I be left out?

"Jessy, Dad's here!"

"Coming Mom!" I love that nickname.