Chapter7:Meet Miss Su

I was heading upstairs to check out my bedroom, but I was stopped in my tracks when I saw the large characters "The place where the Snake Fairy is worshipped" (Python Spirit Altar).

"Ninth Uncle, does this mean you're a snake charmer too?"

I asked, puzzled, but Ninth Uncle shook his head.

"I'm not a snake charmer, but my family also has a Python Spirit."

Saying this, Ninth Uncle walked to the altar and lit three incense sticks.

"When my father was still alive, he once fell into dire straits and was saved by a Python Spirit. To show his gratitude, he set up a Python Spirit Altar at home. Whenever the Python Spirit visits, there will be a place to sit and offerings to enjoy."

Uncle began to recount the past.

"But your family's Python Spirit Altar is different from ours. Your family's altar represents all Python Spirits, including the one in my family, which is why you are called a snake charmer."

Realizing this, I nodded in understanding.

"I see. I misunderstood."

I looked at Uncle apologetically, but he waved it off, indicating I shouldn't worry.

The second floor was only half the size of the first floor and was divided into two small bedrooms. However, I could manage with the conditions, especially since I was living alone.

After a quick tidy-up, I placed a small altar in the inner bedroom and carefully set up my family's Python Spirit plaque.

"To all the Python Spirits, from today, we're moving here! I don't have my grandfather's skills, but I'll work hard and learn from Ninth Uncle. Please rest assured!"

I respectfully lit three incense sticks and placed some fruits before leaving the bedroom.

Seeing that I had settled in, Ninth Uncle decided to head home, reminding me to get some rest as we had business to attend to in the morning.

I agreed, saw him off, then washed up and lay down on the bed.

Staring at the ceiling, my mind was blank. Only now did I realize the magnitude of my decision—to leave my village, my family, and follow Ninth Uncle to a strange place.

I lay there, pondering my future, but found no answers, so I shook my head and gave up.

The next morning, Ninth Uncle brought breakfast. After washing my face, I sat with him to eat.

"How did you sleep last night?"

 Uncle asked, sipping his soy milk.

"Not bad."

I mumbled through a mouthful of fried dough sticks.

"Good. After breakfast, I'll teach you something new."

 Uncle said with a mysterious smile, filling me with anticipation.

Just then, the door to the fortune-telling shop opened, and a young woman walked in.

"Excuse me, is Uncle here?"

The girl, about my age, spoke in a cool, clear voice and carried herself with poise.

 Uncle and I exchanged glances, then invited her to sit in my place.

"Miss, I'm Uncle. What can I do for you?"

Uncle asked, wiping his mouth.

" Uncle, I'm Su Dongling, granddaughter of Su Rui. I have an urgent matter to discuss with you."

The girl introduced herself straightforwardly, but upon hearing the name "Su Rui," Ninth Uncle froze.

" Uncle?  Uncle?"

Seeing his unusual reaction, I gently called out to him while pouring tea.

 Uncle snapped back to reality, looking at me in surprise before quickly regaining his composure.

"Oh, an old friend's granddaughter. What brings you here?"

Although  Uncle said this, I could tell he wasn't really listening to Su Dongling, lost in his own thoughts.

" Uncle, I'm going to school here soon, so I came with some friends for a trip. But one of my friends fell ill suddenly. My grandmother told me to find you, saying you could help."

Su Dongling's cool demeanor turned anxious when she mentioned her friend, indicating how important this person was to her.

 Uncle remained distracted, so I stepped in.

"Miss Su, if your friend is sick, you should take her to a hospital. They can help."

Though I knew Uncle was skilled, I believed a hospital was the best place for an illness.

Unexpectedly, Su Dongling turned to me, her gaze filled with surprise, as if looking at an idiot. Her expression made me uncomfortable, but it allowed me to see her clearly for the first time. She had a delicate face with a hint of sorrow in her brows, likely due to worry for her friend. She was tall, nearly as tall as my six-foot frame, with narrow shoulders and...

I quickly turned my head, scolding myself for staring.

Su Dongling didn't seem to mind my behavior, still looking at me like I was an idiot.

"Sigh!"

Breaking the awkward silence, Ninth Uncle sighed deeply, drawing Su Dongling's attention back to him.

"Your grandmother and I go way back. I'll call you Dongling."

"Dongling, if your grandmother sent you to me, your friend must be experiencing something unusual. Tell me what's going on."

With  Uncle's encouragement, Su Dongling explained.

"My friend is a girl named Xiaodie. A few days ago, we went hiking. Everyone was fine afterward, except Xiaodie, who developed a high fever. Then strange scales started growing on her body, secreting a slimy substance!"

As she spoke, Su Dongling's worry was evident.

"Thinking something was wrong, I gave her a protective charm my grandmother gave me. But the moment Xiaodie touched it, the charm caught fire and almost burned the bedding!"

Hearing this, I was startled. Clearly, Xiaodie's condition wasn't something a hospital could handle.

"I had no choice but to call my grandmother, who, being too far away, told me to find you."

Su Dongling repeated, but this time Ninth Uncle didn't freeze. Instead, he frowned.

"In that case, take us to see your friend."