f o u r - Shimla after 5 years.

MUMBAI, 2005 ( present )
16 August 2005~

Akshara dialed her bestfriend, Aashvi's number.

"Hey, girl!" Aashvi answered, her voice bubbly.

"Aashvi, you won't believe what I got today," Akshara said, her excitement spilling over.

"What is it?" Aashvi asked.

"A box of letters from Rajveer," Akshara replied, her voice filled with emotion.

There was a pause on the other end. "That's amazing! What did they say?"

Akshara took a deep breath, recounting the story of the letters, the poetry, and the promise made at the Shimla Book Feast.

Aashvi listened attentively, her gasps and sighs punctuating the conversation.

Akshara took a deep breath, her voice barely above a whisper. "Aashvi, there's something more. After he disappeared, he kept writing me letters."

Aashvi's gasp was audible. "What? How is that possible?"

Akshara's eyes welled up with tears. "I don't know, but he did. He wrote me letters for years, pouring out his heart, his thoughts, his love."

Aashvi's voice was filled with awe. "That's incredible! Oh, Akshara, your love story is like a novel!"

Akshara's smile was bittersweet. "It feels like a dream, Aashvi. A dream I'm afraid to wake up from."

Aashvi's tone turned serious. "Do you think he's still alive?"

Akshara's eyes searched the distance, her heart heavy with longing. "I don't know, but I have to believe he is. I have to believe we'll meet again."

As they spoke, Akshara's eyes drifted to the letters, her heart overflowing with emotions. She could almost feel Rajveer's presence, his words whispering in her ear.

"Five years have passed, Aashvi," Akshara said, her voice barely audible. "Five long years. But I still hold on to hope."

Ever since she recieved his letters her heart was aching. She knew this time she had to visit Shimla.

~~~~~~~

18 August, Shimla ~ 2005

Akshara's heart raced as the train chugged inIt was to Shimla's station

Akshara's heart raced as the train chugged inIt was to Shimla's station. It had been five years since she left this charming town, carrying scars of loss and heartache. But now, with Rajveer's letters in her possession, she felt an inexplicable pull to revisit the past.

As she stepped out of the station, the crisp mountain air enveloped her, carrying whispers of memories. It was rainy weather. She hailed a taxi and headed to her childhood home, the one she had left behind after her parents' passing and Rajveer's disappearance.

The driver honked, breaking the silence. "Madam, we're here."

Akshara's eyes welled up as she gazed at the familiar house, its windows now dimmed with a layer of dust. She paid the driver and stepped out, her feet hesitating on the familiar path.

With a deep breath, she pushed open the creaky gate and walked towards the front door. The old key still fit perfectly, and the door creaked open with a familiar groan.

"Home," she whispered, her eyes scanning the dusty rooms.

Memories flooded her mind as she wandered through the empty halls, her footsteps echoing off the walls. She stopped in front of the old bookshelf, now bare but still holding the scent of pages and memories.

Suddenly, she heard a faint knock on the door. "Akshara, is that you?"

It was Mrs. Gupta, their old neighbor! Akshara's face lit up with a smile as she opened the door, and the two women embraced warmly.

"I can't believe it's been five years!" Mrs. Gupta exclaimed, her eyes shining with tears.

Akshara nodded, her own eyes brimming. "I know, it feels like a lifetime ago."

Akshara rolled up her sleeves and began to tackle the dust and grime. She started with the furniture, wiping down the surfaces with a damp cloth. The wood gleamed in the sunlight, its beauty hidden beneath the dust.

"Ah, you're looking like your old self again," she said, smiling at the now-spotless bookshelf.

As she worked, the dust motes danced in the sunbeams, like tiny ballerinas performing a choreographed routine. The air filled with the sweet scent of old books and polished wood.

"Mrs. Gupta, come see!" Akshara called out, her voice echoing through the empty halls. "The house is transforming before my eyes!"

Mrs. Gupta appeared at the doorway, a warm smile on her face. "It's like the old days, Akshara! Your parents would be so proud."

Akshara's eyes misted, but she smiled, her heart full of joy. "I'm bringing back the memories, one dust particle at a time."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This story is rollercoaster of all emotions, keep reading to know more🦋
~with love and regards, laysaawrites