sixteen

a/n- hello. so i've fully come to how i want this story to end. and trust me i think we're very far from the end. they're story is just beginning. but i'm going to add, this will not be a guaranteed happy ending. should i add that in the description? also i just realized i wrote a lot in ollie's pov so here's charlie's. anyway continue!!

CHARLIE'S POV

I'm scrolling through my phone as Mack comes downstairs. She looks up from her phone and says, "Hey, Charlie. Sorry about last night."

"Ehh, it's alright. Nothing I haven't done before." I smile. I may have gotten in fights before this.

"So, I assume one game suspension?" She asks. I nod my head because she sure is right. I'm sad I can't play on Friday but I don't regret it, either.

"Yep." I say, popping the p. I lay back down on the coach and scroll through instagram. I see posts about the draft and can't help but notice the media grabbing hold of the fight Ollie had yesterday. They all say the same thing, how good it is to see that the kid can fight and stick up for teammates.

I sit back up and look at Mack eating cereal at the island. "Did you ever notice how high Ollie is expected to get drafted?" I ask. I knew Ollie would go early but top 10 is crazy work.

"Yeah? Did you not notice how good he is? It's crazy he's still playing in high school and not in college." She says.

I think about that. "I wonder why he didn't." I finally say.

"I think it's cause he missed his entire junior year, save for some online classes so he wouldn't get held back. No one knew if he was still gonna be as good as he was after that. They named him as a has been even though it was such a minor blip. Stupid media. He was only 15 or 16. I could never be in his shoes." She says.

"How do you know about all of that?" I ask.

"Well, for one, he lives in my town. And second, I read it all online. They didn't go into depth about what happened, which I am surprised considering it's the media." She says.

I wonder why they didn't dive into the story. I turn away from her and look at my phone's black screen. I don't really remember seeing posts about that. I feel like I should know since we're in the same draft class. Despite me going to play in college and not entering the draft.

I begin to really think. He had those tiny little crescents in his palms like they were dug in his skin by finger nails. They can't be what I think they are. Can they?

I start to freak out. I stand up and grab my keys and plan to head to Ollie's house. I tell Mack I'll be back and if mom asks where I am just to tell her I'm out with Ollie.

I start my car and drive to Ollie's.

After what seems like forever I pull on the side of the ride where Ollie's house is. I figured not to park in the driveway.

I walk up the icy driveway in the frigid air and knock on the door. Ollies mother greets me, "Oh. Hello. How can I help you?"

She must not remember me. I guess I've never formally met her because the last time I was at his house they were out. "Hello, Mrs. Johnston" I say. I take my hand out of my pocket and hold it out to shake hers. "I'm Charlie Smith. I'm here to see Ollie if that's alright?" I ask.

"Oh, of course. I love when Ollie has friends over." She says with a smile, but I stiffen at the word friends. Are we really only friends? "He's upstairs in his room. He did have company over, but I'm not sure if she's still here." She? Who's she?

"Alright. Thank you." I say. When I walk towards the staircase I feel Mr. Johnston's eyes follow me up.

I walk down to the end of the hall and knock on the door. I don't hear a response so I decide to just open it. I stand in the doorway and look at Ollie's sleeping frame. There's no girl in here. I take a breath.