Happy wife, happy life

L A Y L A ' S P O V

I've been ugly crying for twenty minutes straight.

Before I caused a very tearful scene in the bar, Derek hauled me out of there because he knows me too well and the general public seeing what a mess I am right now is something I'd like to avoid.

So he's driving us home, wiping my tears, holding my hand, sweetly kissing my lips at every red light and being so patient with me and the fact that I haven't said much since the moment he slipped that ring on my finger.

I would have loved any ring Derek gave me, but the fact that my mom's ring is now on my finger is so much more special in a way I can't even describe and will cherish forever.

The cut of the diamond, the band and the size are all perfect. It's everything I could ever want. I spent most of my childhood dreaming of having something this beautiful one day and now it's mine because my mom was thoughtful enough to save it for me one day.

We floated the idea of calling everyone down there to celebrate with us, or go home and celebrate ourselves. You best believe tomorrow I'm going to be singing from the rooftops that I have a fiancé, but for tonight, I think we should keep it to ourselves until it sinks in. Or until I can compose myself a little.

The last of my tears, for now, are drying as we pull into the garage at home and I get the princess treatment as always when Derek opens up my door for me, grabs my purse and takes my hand to help me out of the car.

"I'm so glad you said yes." Derek says as if any other answer was a possibility. He opens up the side door into the kitchen, letting me walk through before him. "Otherwise this would have been really awkward."

I step into the house to find a scene that is definitely pinned somewhere on my Pinterest board. The ceiling is covered in white balloons hanging with delicate gold strings and the floor is lined with rose petals and bouquets of fresh flowers. The kitchen island is decorated with confetti, sitting on top is an ice bucket with champagne along side a heart shaped cake and judging by the way the frosting is a mess, he definitely made it himself.

The tears are back. "When did you do all this?"

"While you were getting ready." Derek says. He wraps himself around me from behind, cradling me in his arms. His laugh is soft when he presses a little kiss to the base of my neck. "It was so hard getting you out of the house without seeing this."

Earlier Derek was so impatient waiting on me to finish getting ready for dinner that he quite literally threw me over his shoulder and hauled me down the stairs and straight out the front door under the pretence we were 'extremely late' for our dinner reservations. Now I regret spending most of the car ride there mad at him because he messed up my hair. Oops.

"Technically the ring is from your mom," He says quietly, tightening his hold on me. "So this is from me."

This man. "You need to stop saying cute things to me. I'm not emotionally stable enough for this right now."

"Hey," Derek says softly to get my attention. When I turn to him, he wipes the tears falling down my cheeks. "I got you."

And got me he has. Those silly little words are something Derek says to me all the time and I've never once taken them for granted. I don't have to worry about anything, because he's always got me. Ever since I met him I feel like I've been wrapped up in a bubble. Protected, looked after in every way possible, safe and supported. He always makes me his main priority and he is my biggest cheerleader and my sole support system. He surrounds me with so much love everyday I truly don't know what I did to deserve it, but I am eternally grateful.