Chapter 14

Something is off.

Roseanne...Roseanne's off.

She has been for a few days now.

Lisa tries not to dwell on it, she has the right to be distant or have a bad day. Is it strange to see Roseanne like this? Absolutely, but she's not rude or mean, just quieter.

Three straight nights Lisa hasn't had Roseanne come by for dinner. The second night she dropped by to check on her but Roseanne was busy playing her games and didn't seem all that interested in company.

It was disappointing, but again, she understands. Lisa has had her fair share of bad days as well.

Now, four days since the last time she and Roseanne had a meal together, Lisa decides to be a little more proactive.

She finishes her morning routine and makes a quick trip into town for a new water basin as the one she uses for the cows is cracked and has a leak.

The morning heat is slowed quite nicely by a flurry of clouds that roll in - it looks like it might rain but even if it doesn't, the wind keeps things cool.

Lisa wants to invite Roseanne over for dinner, to catch up and check in. She wants to be her friend more than anything - even more than the desire that keeps striking up every time she catches herself staring.

The night she came over to Roseanne's to check on her, when Roseanne was gaming, she found her sitting at her desk in only an oversized t-shirt that hung loose over one shoulder.

Roseanne didn't even have pants on, her legs bare and resting on the floor after she'd moved her footrests out of the way.

She looked tired, eyes red and she told Lisa it was from staring at her monitor for too long.

So yes, Lisa is a little worried and she wants to make sure everything is okay.

However, by the time she gets back home and hauls her new water basin towards the spot the cows know to look at, Roseanne is already occupied.

She's at the stables again, this time with Sandara and from her spot, Lisa watches as Roseanne sits next to Louis and runs a brush through his hair. Hank and Love racing around them, chasing one another

It's a sight that makes her heart flutter, seeing the way Louis is so calm for Roseanne. It's like he knows that she is good and deserves love - but also that she's delicate, something that needs a careful touch.

Louis snorts and whinnys, shakes a bit too much, but Sandara doesn't have to intervene to calm him - Roseanne can already do it by herself.

Lisa decides to leave them alone for now - instead taking the time to check the perimeter of the fence and keep herself busy until she can find a moment alone with Roseanne.

It's scary how suddenly Lisa has become dependent on the time she gets to spend with Roseanne.

There's a magic to her, a draw, that compels Lisa to want to try harder at the things that make her happy.

Roseanne lives her life so openly - so in balance with the parts of it she enjoys. She laughs with her entire soul. She eats every meal as if she's been fasting for days

She has every reason to view the world in a negative light, given the things it's taken from her - instead, Roseanne cherishes it all.

Lisa simply adores her.

So to not be able to spend the time with her that she had grown used to has hurt. She wants to fix it.

Another hour passes with Lisa wandering around the ranch feeling more lost than she has since her first weeks here. Back then she was angry at the world, heartbroken and betrayed by it.