Chapter 20

"Hold on, let me see if I've got this correct. He's there for his heart transplant."

"Yes."

"And while he's in the waiting room, he sees his heart being carried in by the paramedics."

"Well technically he's in a chair, with like the gown on and all that."

"But not prepared and ready to receive his time sensitive heart?"

Roseanne snorts. "No."

"Yet the paramedic is racing in with his heart so fast that he slips, drops it, the heart falls to the ground and...a dog eats it?"

"He just gobbles it up, Lili."

She looks at Roseanne, waiting for that inevitable moment where she can't hold in her laugh and says she's making the whole thing up - but instead all she's met with is the most delighted smile possible. "This is from a show you chose to watch?"

"Mmhmm, I mean my options were limited, but One Tree Hill was one of the better ones."

Lisa can't stop the shake of her head. "One of the better ones?" Roseanne grins. "Oh Roseanne, I knew your time in the orphanage was rough but this is truly the lowest of lows."

This draws out a delightful cackle from Roseanne next to her as they drive along the coast towards Port Aransas.

It's almost two and they're close - Lisa's GPS guiding them to the motel she's chosen.

"You just don't understand how good trash TV is, Lili. It's the same reason I want you to watch Twilight with Sana and me - we just bash on it and," then Roseanne gasps. "Sana!"

Lisa looks over with worry as Roseanne is pulling her phone out of the glove box. "Roseanne?"

"I have to text her, she's so invested in us."

"She is?"

Roseanne nods, tapping away at her phone. "I need to tell her you made a move and thank her and Seulgi for last night."

"Her and Seulgi?"

"Yep, they picked me up and brought me back home."

"Oh," Lisa doesn't let herself feel disappointed that Roseanne didn't call her. After all, Roseanne believed she was out on a date with Sorn - which makes her stomach turn just thinking about it. "So they were together?"

"Oh Lili," Roseanne smiles. "They're fucking."

Lisa physical shudders. "Roseanne, please."

"It's sweet, really. They're kind of perfect for each other. Sana has Seulgi wrapped around her little finger."

There's a small slice of hurt that cuts through her at the thought that Sana didn't feel comfortable telling her about being with Seulgi, but she's never shown much interest in Sana's romantic life.

Before Roseanne, she never showed much interest in her own romantic life.

"Oh, Sana says 'it's about fucking time'."

Lisa rolls her eyes. "Of course she did."

"Seulgi says I could do better."

"That's what people who buy eggs from her say."

Roseanne makes a very loud whistle and Lisa sees her eyes glowing with pride. "Damn, look at you getting catty."

"I do not 'get catty'." Lisa can't help but laugh, Roseanne is contagious. "What does that even mean?"

"You know, cat fights, when girls pull each other's hair and scratch and stuff - it's very nineties. Like Saved by the Bell stuff." Then Roseanne's expression turns again, almost giddy. "Oh speaking of Saved by the Bell and fights, did you ever see the fight scene between Slater and Zack in that show? It was genuinely so real and well done - one of the best fight scenes I've seen just neatly tucked away in a random late 80s teen show - wild stuff."