𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉ℯ𝓇 𝒯𝓌ℴ

April 13, 1912

I slowly unlatch the gate to go down into third class, the third-class passengers stopping what they are doing to stare at me. It's not everyday a passenger from first-class willingly comes down to steerage.

The social centre of steerage life. It is stark by comparison to the opulence of first class, but is a loud, boisterous place. There are mothers with babies, kids running between the benches yelling in several languages and being scolded in several more. There are old women yelling, men playing chess, girls doing needlepoint and reading dime novels. There is even an upright piano and a man is noodling around it. Three boys, shrieking and shouting, are scrambling around chasing a rat under the benches, trying to whomp it with a shoe and causing general havoc. I see Jack, amongst the people, playing with a young girl.

As I walk towards them, all activity in the room stops, as they all stop what they are doing to look at me. I feel a bit self-conscious due to all the attention I'm receiving from these passengers but I try to focus on what I came down here for. To them I'm a princess but in reality I'm just a trapped imprisoned girl, unable to escape.

I give a small smile to Jack, " Hello Jack."

His two friends are floored. It's like the slipper fitting Cinderella. They were amazed at how he managed to gain the attention of a first-class passenger. I saw how their jaws were dropped to the ground, speechless.

"Hello again."

I look over at his friends and then back to Jack, "Could I speak to you in private?"

"Uh, yes. Of course. After you," He motions me ahead.

˗ˏˋ𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫'ˎ˗

Me and Jack walk side by side along the first-class deck. They pass people reading and talking in steamer chairs, some of whom glance curiously at the mismatched couple. I could sense he feels out of place in his rough clothes while everyone is in their best dresses and attires. We are both awkward, for different reasons.

"Mr. Dawson, I–"

"Jack."

"Jack... I feel like such an idiot. It took me all morning to get up the nerve to face you," confessing how i feel.

"Well, here you are."

"Here I am. I... I want to thank you for what you did. Not just for... for pulling me back. But for your discretion."

"You're welcome. Lilibet," He looks at me.

As my overthinking gets the best of me, I blurt out the most random misconception ever, "Look, I know what you must be thinking! Poor little rich girl. What does she know about misery?"

"That's not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was... what could have happened to hurt this girl so much she thought she had no way out," Jack shakes his head.

"I don't... it wasn't just one thing. It was everything. It was them, it was their whole world. And I was trapped in it, like an insect in amber," I sigh softly before starting again, "I just had to get away... just run and run and run... and then I was at the back rail and there was no more ship... even the Titanic wasn't big enough. Not enough to get away from them. And before I'd really thought about it, I was over the rail. I was so furious. I'll show them. They'll be sorry!"

"Uh huh. They'll be sorry. 'Course you'll be dead."

I lower my head in pure and utter defeat, "Oh God, I am such an utter fool."

"That penguin last night, is he one of them?" I stare at him confused. Who was penguin?

"Penguin?" I ask before it hits me, " Oh, Cal! He is them."