𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉ℯ𝓇 ℱℴ𝓊𝓇

˗ˏˋ𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫'ˎ˗

April 14, 1912

A bright clear day. Sunlight splashing across the promenade. Me and my finance, Cal are having breakfast in silence. The tension is palpable. Trudy Bolt, in her maid's uniform, pours the coffee and goes inside.

"I had hoped you would come to me last night," He says while stirring his tea.

"I was tired." I knew I had to lie.

"Yes. Your exertions below decks were no doubt exhausting."

"I see you had that undertaker of a manservant follow me," I scoff.

"You will never behave like that again! Do you understand?" He screams

"I'm not some foreman in your mills than you can command! I am your fiancee–"

Cal explodes, sweeping the breakfast china off the table with a crash. He moves to me in one shocking moment, glowering over me and gripping the sides of my chair, so I'm trapped between his arms.

"Yes! You are! And my wife...in practice, if not yet by law. So you will honour me, as a wife is required to honour her husband! I will not be made out to be a fool! Is this in any way unclear?"

I shrink into the chair. I see Trudy, frozen, partway through the door bringing the orange juice. Cal follows my glance and straightens up. He stalks past the maid, entering the stateroom.

"We... had a little accident. I'm sorry, Trudy." I go onto the floor and begin to help her clean up with tears flowing down my cheeks.

˗ˏˋ𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫'ˎ˗

Ruth is dressed for the day, and is in the middle of helping me with my corset.

"You are not to see that boy again, do you understand me Beth? I forbid it!"

Ruth has her knee at the base of my back pulling the corset strings with both hands.

"Oh, stop it, Mother. You'll give yourself a nosebleed," I roll my eyes.

Ruth pulls away from me, "Elizabeth, this is not a game! Our situation is precarious. You know the money's gone! Inhibit and is locking"

"Of course I know it's gone. You remind me every day!"

"Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name. And that name is the only card we have to play," Ruth turns me around and grabs the corset strings again. I suck in my waist and my mother pulls.

"I don't understand you. It is a fine match with Hockley, and it will ensure our survival."

"How can you put this on my shoulders?" I ask, my voice cracking.

"Do you want to see me working as a seamstress? Is that what you want? Do you want to see our fine things sold at an auction, our memories scattered to the winds? My God, Elizabeth, how can you be so selfish?"

I sigh, "It's so unfair."

"Of course it's unfair! We're women. Our choices are never easy." Ruth pulls the corset tighter.

˗ˏˋ𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫'ˎ˗

At the divine service, Captain Smith is leading a group in the hymn "Almighty Father Strong To Save." Lovejoy stands well back, keeping an eye on me. He notices a commotion at the entry doors. Jack has been halted there by two stewards. He is dressed in his third class clothes, and stands there, looking out of place.