𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉ℯ𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍

˗ˏˋ𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫'ˎ˗

Cal and Ruth wait in the sitting room, along with the Master at Arms and two stewards. Silence as me and Jack enter. Ruth closes her robe at her throat when she sees Jack.

"Something serious has happened," I cried

"That's right. Two things dear to me have disappeared this evening. Now that one is back..." He looks away from me to Jack, "... I have a pretty good idea where to find the other. Search him."

The Master at Arms steps up to Jack. "Coat off, mate." Lovejoy pulls at Jack's coat and Jack shakes his head in dismay, shrugging out of it. The Master at Arms pats him down.

"This is horseshit," Jack argues.

"Cal, you can't be serious! We're in the middle of an emergency and you–" Steward Barnes pulls the Heart of the Ocean out of the pocket of Jack's coat, "Is this it?"

I'm stunned. Needless to say, so is Jack.

Cal nods, "That's it."

Master at arms says, "Right then. Now don't make a fuss," As he starts to handcuff Jack.

"Don't you believe it, Lilibet. Don't!" Jack shouts over to me in plea.

"He couldn't have."

"Of course he could. Easy enough for a professional. He memorised the combination when you open the safe," Cal begins to explain a side I never thought off.

I place a hand on my head, "But I was with him the whole time."

In a low and cold manner, Cal whispers, "Maybe he did it while you were putting your clothes back on." My eyes widened in shock and horror.

"They put it in my pocket!"

"It's not even your pocket, son. 'Property of A. L. Ryerson'." Lovejoy shows the coat to the Master at Arms. There is a label inside the collar with the owner's name.

The master at arms then confirms, "That was reported stolen today."

"I was going to return it! Lilibet–"

I feel utterly betrayed, hurt and confused. I shrink away from him. He starts shouting to me as Lovejoy and the Master at Arms drag him out into the hall. I can't look him in the eye.

"Lilibet, don't listen to them...I didn't do this! You know I didn't! You know it!"

I'm devastated. My mother lays a comforting hand on my shoulder as the tears well up, "Why do women believe men?"

From inside the sitting room we can hear knocking and voices in the corridor.

My mother announces, "I had better go dress." Ruth exits and Hockley crosses to me. He regards me coldly for a moment, then slaps me across the face.

"It is a little slut, isn't it?" Cal grabs her shoulders roughly, "Look at me, you little–"

There is a loud knock on the door and an urgent voice. The door opens and their steward puts his head in. "Sir, I've been told to ask you to please put on your lifebelt, and come up to the boat deck."

Cal rolls his eyes, annoyed, Cal rudely states to the Steward, "Get out. We're busy." The steward persists, coming in to get the lifebelts down from the top of a dresser.

"I'm sorry about the inconvenience, Mr. Hockley, but it's Captain's orders. Please dress warmly, it's quite cold tonight." The Steward comes over to me, handing me a lifebelt, "Not to worry, miss, I'm sure it's just a precaution."