Chapter Six

The talking started immediately once we came in the house. We were bombarded with information, much of which I'm guessing my brother was already familiar with by this time. Phrases like 'It'll all get better soon' and 'Let's just remember the happy times' kept swarming around me as tears shed and I blocked them out as much as I could.  

I shelled up and let the thoughts flood. With each memory a new tear was lost to the salty world. I thought of the time that we were going through her jewelry when I was a little girl, sitting on her bed like I was a princess in a meadow of daisies in a little baby blue lace frock. She picked up a particularly elegant and beautiful thread of tooth-sized, not too big, not too small black pearls and strung them gently around my tiny neck. She beamed at me as if I had just graduated high school, gave me a loving kiss on the top of my head and said something in the sweetest voice imaginable. "Maybe in a few years..." She of course muttered this to herself, not wanting to get my hopes up or anything of the sort.  

This year, about a month back was my sixteenth birthday. I think she was hoping to give it to me on my wedding day, but she knew that at this point, she wouldn't last long enough for that to be possible. My mom handed me a package and I immediately knew that it was from her. To what was inside, I was oblivious, but I was 100 percent sure that she had sent it. I hurriedly unwrapped it, delicately, though, as to not destroy its contents. Inside laid a velvet box. I pried the box open with such eagerness that it might as well have been Pandora's. Inside it lay what I hadn't expected to receive until much later in life, the necklace.  

As soon as I was allowed to leave and the discussion that my brother would fill me in on as soon as I stabilized finished, I returned to my room and tugged the thin silver chain out of my shirt, unclasping it. Hanging from it was the ornate ruby encrusted key which I used to unlock my special box. One of the box's many contents was that same velvet box that I received not too long ago. I pried it open once again, fingering the smooth inky drops. I clutched the accessory to my body as I bit my lip, letting blood ooze from the tears formed from the pressure I was exerting on them.  

My grandmother would have said to stay strong right now; tears wouldn't fix anything. My mother needed me more than I needed her, so I should be there for her. Making one quick trip before I toughened up, or you could say that this was me toughening up, I headed to the tattoo shop down the road. This girl from school, Ace, got her art and piercings done there and they seemed well done, so I knew I could rely on them to do a decent job.  

Ignoring the slight fear and the pesky little voice coming from the even peskier conscious I had deep in me, I walked through the door, getting my first body ink. When I stepped out of there, after dozing of out of exhaustion during the procedure, I had the words 'strength', 'focus', and 'respect' marked on me in a fancy black cursive, almost like her handwriting, with a small blue heart to them across my left forearm. The heart was blue to symbolize the fact that she was dead and no matter the circumstances, I would always love her and she would always love me. I walked out feeling an inkling of a smile haunting my depressed features.  

I traced my right hand ring finger over the letters and straightened my back, wiping my face of any signs of sadness. It was too soon to go back to smiling and laughing, but frowns would only make the negative side clearer, more enhanced, more real. Gran wouldn't want that. I knew that even if I couldn't go all the way, she would surely prefer a brave face, as it would help the others. 

Prying my thoughts away from the recent occurrences, I thought of a much more important topic at hand. How was I supposed to hide these from my mum? No matter her state, she would flip out if she found out. If there was one thing she despised, it was tattoos. I walked back in the shop and the lady chuckled in a knowing manner.  

"I'm sorry, but if you want to remove them, you'll have to talk to your doctor about the surgical procedures available." 

I shook my head and asked her what the best way to hide them was. She pointed me to a shelf of long-lasting water proof liquid concealers in all skin tones and synthetic sleeves. I chose a bottle of concealer and payed the required five dollar bill, returning to my walk home. Entering the house, I nodded my head at my brother, then at my door, signaling him to follow me. Showing him my modifications, he smiled and quirked an eyebrow, questioning me how I would hide it. I pointed towards the bag next to my ankle and he peaked inside before nodding at me approvingly. He headed out and I took out my iPod. I drifted off to sleep with P!NK's strengthening words.

Tomorrow seemed a long way away, but it seemed like it was going to be a real adventure.

&@&@&@&@&@&

Heyo peoples of Mars! I'm sorry once again, but with the lack of response from the last chapter and the stuff I had going on, I took a bit of a break. I had this done earlier, but was hoping to hit the next hundred mark before. I gave up on that, epescially since I only got one comment on the last one. I hope this one gets you guys writing a bit more and if I get some good activity this time, I might have the next upload up in a couple days!

Ciao bellas and hope to see you soon!