10. Never Been Kissed

CALLIE

Without further ado, I walked right up to Daniel. Thoughtlessly, I tossed my arms around him, clinging to the teddy bear brown fabric of his shirt. His strong hands looped around my back as I soaked up his warmth.

"Everything okay?" he asked gently, leaning down to reach my ear. 

"Everything is wonderful, why do you ask?" I grabbed both of his hands reflexively. Xavier's existence began to dissolve from the room.

He let go of them immediately, which pinched my heart like a stinging needle. A sharp pull that made my whole being ache. 

But then he put both of his hands on my shoulders, soothing the pain again, "I mean with the gentleman, Callie. Is he treating you well?"

I gulped. 

How do I answer such a question when the answer is yes?

"He seems sweet," I answered honestly, heaving a sigh of relief at my transparency. It was true, after all.

"He is sweet. You will be just fine."

"You know him?"

He nodded, "I met him in the scene maybe a year ago. But if he isn't anything less than respectful and good to you, Callie, come right to me. I'll convince Levi to let you keep Mulbrandt without him."

"Could you do that now?" I whispered in Daniel's ear.

"Now?" Daniel gave me a confused look, taking a tighter grip on my shoulders. "Why now?"

I shrugged, "This whole trial marriage thing is pointless, is it not?"

All at once, Audrina appeared next to us. Her thin wrist slinked around Daniel's bicep. I took a mental picture of the sight. Her hair was in a curled ponytail, secured by a pink bow. Just like the one on my dress. To make matters worse, her white dress was as flowy and bohemian as mine.

How am I supposed to stand out in Daniel's eyes when this is what I'm dealing with?

My mother assigned the place cards and she called us to the table with an obnoxious clap of her hands. I sauntered, searching for my name. I prayed that I'd be sitting next to Daniel tonight, but I was assigned between Mrs. Frank and Dr. Cross.

Dr. Cross, in all his kindness, pulled my chair out for me. I gleefully sat down, "Thank you, Dr. Cross!"

Jealousy pricked my heart when I realized Audrina and her bouncy ponytail were going to sit on the other side of him. He proceeded to do exactly the same for her.

But my festering anger was interrupted by Mrs. Frank's hand on my back. I turned to her and realized just how gorgeous she looked this evening. Her long, golden hair was tucked behind her ears, showing off diamonds in the shape of daisies. Her once winter-white skin wore a blush like she had enjoyed a day in the sunshine.

"You look marvelous, Mrs. Frank,."

She patted my cheek, "I hoped we would be spending more time together soon."

My head circled around the table. Xavier was sitting between Levi and Gaia. Next to Gaia was Mrs. Cross. Next to Mrs. Cross was Mr. Frank. And next to Mr. Frank was Whitney. Finally, there was Daniel at the other end of the table, next to Whitney.

I had never seen Daniel look disapproving before, but somehow, he did. He frowned as he pulled out Whitney's chair for her while she tucked a brown wave behind her tiny ear.