Anonymous Call

Following the opening of her bed and breakfast, Scarlett made the decision to provide guests with three meals. She enjoyed cooking, and by preparing more meals, she was able to earn an additional her income from the kitchen. David would feel really pleased. The words jumped unbidden into her mind. Her thoughts about her ex-husband evoked a range of emotions as usual, from sadness to rage to an unsettling sense of unresolved matters that might haunt her forever.

The knock on the back door shoved thoughts of David right out of her head. Clark Mathis peered in through the screen, and she motioned him inside.
"That flower bed on the north side of the house is looking pretty dismal and I thought I'd head into town and pick up a couple of new plants to add in. Is there anything you need from the stores?" he said.

She smiled at Clark, who had been her right-hand man since she'd bought the place a little over five years ago. He could make a flower bloom as easily as he could fix the temperamental air conditioner.
"No, I think I'm good until Sunday when Ryleigh and I will do some grocery shopping, but let me get you some money for the new plants."

Clark raised a hand to dismiss the offer. "I'll take care of it. I still have some of the money left that you gave me to replace those shrubs in the front."
"Thanks Clark. And you might want to plan to eat dinner here tonight. I'm cooking adobo. "Scarlett respond.
"I'll definitely be here." he replied.

David and Clark had worked together at a factory that produced furnace boilers. Two months prior to Scarlett and David opening their bed and breakfast the factory had closed down, leaving Clark and several other men in the little town unemployed. Clark had come to them and confessed that he was broke and needed to move out of the apartment he'd been renting. He knew they had a caretaker's cottage across the pond, and he'd sworn that for free rent and board he would take care of whatever needed to be done around the place.

Two months later, David was gone, but Clark had established himself invaluable around the place. And it was added bonus that he adored Ryleigh.

Scarlett POV

Scarlett found herself peering out at the back door at her newest guest. Even though she was still seated in the chair she sensed a tenseness about her, a simmering energy that she'd noticed the moment she'd introduce herself to Jace.

Her mesmerizing gaze captivates me with her expressive almond eyes but mirrors a lot of untold stories. Really, Jace, who are you? You exude so much mystery.

One of her cardinal rule was to never get involved with her guests. Jace Smith was just like all the other people she allowed into her life, fleeting and definitely temporary.

The ring on her phone pulled her from her thoughts. As she went to the desk in the kitchen to answer, she noticed that the caller ID indicated the call was anonymous.

She received calls from unknown numbers on a regular basis. Some individuals didn't want her to have their number when they called to inquire about the pricing and details of the bed and breakfast. They were presumably worried that she would make follow-up appointments with them and try to push them into taking a trip they didn't wanted.

"Bachelor Moon Bed and Breakfast," she said into the receiver. There was a long moment of silence, although she could tell the line wasn't dead. "Hello?"
"Mine. For you" the voice sounded strange, as if it had been somehow altered.
"Excuse me?" Scarlett replied. There was a soft click and she knew the caller was no longer on the line.

She hung up the phone with frown. Mine. For you.

What in the heck did that mean?

Maybe she hadn't heard it right.

She tried to dismiss the call from her mind, knowing it was time to get lunch prepared.

Even still, she was unable to shake the gloomy feeling of dread that was creeping through her as she busied herself arranging the dining room table for Jace's lunch.