Bachelor Moon [I]

THIS WAS HER FAVORITE TIME OF THE DAY, when dinner was finished and the dishes were done and Scarlett had a little downtime to enjoy. As the day worn on Scarlett had almost manage to convinced herself that she'd misunderstood the words the anonymous caller had to said to her. The voice had been strange and she'd had to strain to hear what he'd said. It was possible he'd only said something that sounded like

       Mine... For you...

She'd called Ken earlier in the day to tell him about the phone call, and she'd explained it to him she'd thought she'd heard the sound of nails being driven into her coffin. Most of the afternoon she'd thought about the supportive people in her life, and there was no way she could imagine any of them doing something so heinous. She'd known Clark and Jeff for years, and they'd never shown any hint that they were capable of such violence.

The sun rode low in the sky, and the heat of the day had eased to a pleasant temperature but Jace's mind was far away from the weather. The scene was bathed in the soft glow of the setting sun, casting a warm and golden hue over the porch where Scarlett sat. A gentle breeze danced through the air, carrying the sweet scent of blooming flowers that adorned the garden.

The chirping of birds added a melodic soundtrack to the peaceful ambiance, blending harmoniously with the laughter of Scarlett's daughter at play. The porch, adorned with cozy cushions and potted plants, exuded a welcoming charm, inviting moments of quiet reflection and joyful connection. As evening descended, the sky painted itself in hues of pink and orange, creating a breathtaking backdrop for the heartfelt moments unfolding on the porch, where love and serenity intertwined in perfect harmony.

Jace's heart swelled with warmth as she watched Scarlett sitting on the porch, her eyes filled with love and pride as she observed her daughter playing. The scene unfolded before her like a precious painting, capturing a moment of pure joy and contentment. In that serene moment, Jace couldn't help but feel grateful for the glimpse into Scarlett's world, where the simple joys of motherhood intertwined with the beauty of everyday life.

The bond between mother and daughter radiated a special kind of magic, illuminating the porch with a glow that spoke of love, laughter, and the enduring power of family. As Jace observed Scarlett and her daughter's bond, a pang of envy tugged at her heart. The joy and connection they shared unearthed a longing within her, a reminder of the void left by her mother's passing.

Despite the warmth surrounding them, a shadow of grief lingered in Jace's eyes, yearning for the kind of love and closeness that seemed to come effortlessly to Scarlett and her daughter. In that moment, amidst the laughter and play, Jace found solace in the bittersweet beauty of their relationship, a poignant reminder of the precious moments she held dear in her memories of her own mother.

 In that moment, amidst the laughter and play, Jace found solace in the bittersweet beauty of their relationship, a poignant reminder of the precious moments she held dear in her memories of her own mother

Scarlett smelled her before she saw Jace, that crisp, clean scent. She turns her head and smiled as Jace stepped out on the porch.

"How are you doing?" Jace asked, as she eased down into the wicker chair next to hers.