You Will Never Walk Alone

Papa was in his office when Addy decided to bring him a meal. He'd been absent from sight since morning, and she longed to be in his presence. Addeline often started her mornings alone, noticing the absence of her husband in their bed, as he dedicated his early hours to projects for the ministry or the band. Sometimes he'd work well into the afternoons.

She approached the door, catching the sound of a woman's laughter from within. Sister Annaliese, she presumed, always by Papa's side, waiting on him hand and foot. With a gentle tap on the door, she discreetly interrupted their conversation.

"Come in!"

She pushed the creaky door open to behold Papa sitting at his desk.

"Ah, Amore," he turned to the sister of sin, "Annaliese, will you leave us please."

Addeline's patience wore thin as the young woman curtsied for the satanic pope and then turned her attention to Addy, stating, "I will fetch Elizabeth; it's time for her to wake up from her nap."

Addy swiftly responded, "I will get my daughter after speaking with my husband. But thank you, Sister."

Annaliese clicked her tongue and let her eyes flutter, saying, "Of course, Addy."

"Mrs. Copia," Addeline corrected. The young sister rolled her eyes and exited the room in disdain. Addeline huffed in frustration, though Papa remained oblivious to the catty exchange. He was in his black cassock—his matching papal mitre next to him upon his desk.

"Good evening, my darling. My two darlings," he rubbed her growing belly.

"I brought you food. You've been cooped up in here all day so I thought you might be hungry."

"Oh, thank you. I appreciate that," he said taking the plate off her hands. His leather clad fingers brushed up against hers. He took a bite of food and with a mouthful said, "While you're here, I could use an extra set of eyes."

Sister Annaliese can't read? She thought as she grabbed a document from Papa's hands.

"It's just a rough draft of dates for the next tour. Can you make sure the dates do not overlap? I'm afraid I've been looking at them for so long that the days are all looking the same to me."

She studied the paper, reading aloud, "January... February... March? There's a March date on here. Is that this coming March?"

"Yes," he confirmed, "We'll wrap it up in March."

"No. Papa, the baby is going to come in March. Who approved these dates?"

"Well, it was a collective agreement between myself, the ghouls and the clergy, of course."

"They must know that I'm pregnant!"

"Sister and Nihil?" Papa asked, "How would they know?"

"They want you away when the baby is born! They want control over everything. What if they want to kill the baby if it's a girl? I won't stay here with them alone! I WON'T!"

"Amore, calm down," he said, trying to quiet her, "We have not told anybody you are pregnant yet. Had you let me say something earlier then perhaps they would not have suggested this particular date."

"You knew!" Addeline said callously, allowing a fiery bit of her personality to show, "Why the hell then would you approve it?"

Angry at her tone and appalled at her disrespect, the man grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her closely, "Remember who you are speaking to."