Worst situation possible. I suppose....

Beth was eating lunch. Both her mother and father looked at each other, then at her.

"Elisabeth, dear?" her mother called, Beth lifted her look.

"Yes, mother?" she answered.

Her father added, "There is somebody that we want you to meet tonight when we dine."

Beth rolled her eyes. It was another one of their charmers. It was truly getting to her breaking point. She was just exhausted.

"And I wonder who that may be. Robert?" she was being sarcastic.

"No, dear. This is a much nicer gentleman indeed," her mother smiled.

Beth gathered the courage and asked, "May I ask something? Have you ever thought about me in this subject?"

Both her parents were confused.

"I mean, did you ever think that I may not want to marry somebody you choose? Has it ever crossed your mind?"

"Elisabeth, we've been through this. We want the best for you and that's how it will be," her father said strictly.

"You want someone to inherit all oh this..." she mumbled to herself.

"Elisabeth..." her father sighed.

"Well, what if I already love someone? What right does a father have to separate his daughter from her dearest?" she grinned.

"In that case... In that case, if you did, I wouldn't force as much, but I would have to approve of that boy. But as far as I know, you don't, so you are going to meet the nice mister coming over tonight."

"May I at least know the name of that fine young gentleman?" she asked.

"Of course. It's mister McRoy. Edward McRoy."

The words ran through her head. She nearly choked on her food. No. No, this couldn't be. She didn't listen to her father who was still talking about how he's a nice fella about her age... She was assigned to that filthy, bastard. And she didn't know what to say and do. But she sure couldn't make him leave.

The thing was her parents truly believed that they were doing her good by forcing her. They were convinced that they were giving her the things they could only dream about when they were her age. But they just couldn't understand the burden they were putting on her back.

So, he knocked on their door at 7 pm sharp. Beth was far less than pleased. They all sat and ate dinner. Beth played like she never met him, so did he.

"So, Edward, what do you do for work?" her mother asked.

"Well, Mrs. Miller, I am currently studying at Oxford, but I hope to take over my father's company one day," he said proudly.

"Did you hear that, dear? Oxford is such a prestigious college!"

"Ah yes, Oxford. I've always liked such overrated and snobby institutions. How'd you get in? You pulled some strings, I see?" Beth said sarcastically.

Edward got uncomfortable; her mother looked at her strictly.

Then father asked, "And what does your father do, Mr. McRoy?"

"My father is in the stock market for nearly 20 years now. After the Great Depression hit, he emerged in his business."

Her father curiously asked, "Took advantage of the low-priced stock, I see?"

"Exactly, mister. His company grew bigger ever since. Then, whenever somebody talks about the GD, my father just says that only he can thrive in a disaster."

Both Edward and father laughed to that truly boring joke.

Beth, desperately wanting to step on Edward's fantasy, added sarcastically, "Yes, mister, joking about the crisis that ruined many people's lives is just so incredibly funny. Do you also tell that joke to the people that lost their house 10 years ago due to a lack?"

Edward didn't say anything. He looked at his plate, seeming humbled.

Her father mumbled that she needs to shut up, so Beth settled down for a bit.

After some time, her parents left to settle the meal with the cook and Beth got up from the table. Edward got up too.

He approached her and angrily said, "Alright Elisabeth, listen up. You need to get your act together, you slag-faced child: It's time to stop plying your passive aggressive games and start taking this seriously."

Their faces were close. Beth got close to his ear and said, "Oh mister McRoy, you're such a fine gentleman, indeed. Calling a lady a slag-faced child. How charming! For the record: To you, I'm miss Miller, and now, please do me a favor and back off from my life!"

"Well, you sure don't have your tall buddy over here with you, so if I was on your place, I'd..." he couldn't finish because her folks walked back in. He backed off instantly and sat back down at his seat.

The rest of the evening was sarcastic and extremely unpleasant.

This really was the worst situation possible, given that Beth's parents seemed to like him very much and find him 'suitable'.

Not only did they like him, but they also thought he was 'the one'.

I was facing major writer's block and then this fancy plot came to my mind. I'm quite proud of it. Of course, I hope you don't mind me if my inexperience is too visible. This is my first book.
The one and only,
Evelyn Rosewood :)