Goodbye and goodnight

It was Saturday, 2.9.1939. Beth and John went for a walk on that unusual sunny day. As Beth and John strolled down the sunlit park, they both seemed worried for their reasons. They both felt at unease and pressured, little did they know that it was the same event troubling them.

"John?" she called.

"Hm?"

"You seem a bit off today. Are you alright?" she asked him.

"I must say that you seem troubled by something as well, Lizzy," he gazed at her.

"Well, I asked you first. So? What is it?"

He cleared his throat. "Well, you know how things have been pretty hectic at work lately? It's gotten even crazier. There's this whole situation that's come up, and it's causing a lot of...extra pressure," he said, sounding a bit exhausted and worried.

"What happened?"

"Well, you remember how we've been hearing some tense situations happening in the world. Mainly there around Poland and Germany? It turns out that it's escalated into something bigger, so I've been assigned some new tasks that's all," he really tried not to directly tell her that Britain had just declared war. But she understood.

"I know we are at war, you know? You don't have to mask it. Father got his telegram this morning," she said in a sad tone.

"Does he have to go?" John asked.

Beth nodded. "He's going as a captain again in two weeks."

Both were quiet. Both didn't know what to talk about. But then Beth asked him with a glimpse of desperation in her eyes, "John, tell me you don't have to go as well."

He shook his head. "No, Lizzy, don't worry. Since I'm already in the industry, I'm not required to enlist. I'm not going anywhere."

A sense of relief appeared on her face. She didn't know why. She would gladly see Edward go, but John was a person hard to let go. He was naturally nice, witty and pleasant to be around with.

"John I just can't help but worry. What if something happens? What – "

"It won't, Lizzy. He's a captain, not infantry," he calmed her down.

He offered to take her dancing that night to a bit larger pub, since a friend of his gave him 50% off entry. Also, George was coming, and they could all forget their worries for a bit.

So that evening Beth put on her dress and she and John walked to a larger looking pub. The music could be heard from outside.

In the dimly lit pub, Beth and John found themselves amidst a lively crowd. A sound of laughter mingled with the infectious energy of the room, creating a joyous atmosphere.

John could see the traces of worry on her face. Sensing her unease, he reached out and gently took her hand, their fingers intertwining and his touch offering a comforting warmth.

"Hey Lizzy," his eyes locked onto her pale face, "Try not to worry, eh? Everything will calm down soon."

She nodded with a brief relief in her eyes.

Suddenly, a familiar face emerged from the crowd. It was George. With a grin, George joined the conversation, his words silly as always.

"Well, blimey! Look who's made a cheeky return to the pub. I reckon you enjoyed it the first time, didn't ya?" George asked Beth.

"I must say I did," she smiled lightly.

"And how are you George?" John asked.

"I'm doing alright, John, just about gettin' by. But I've got something to spill the beans on, mate."